Honored Contributor

Re: Helping kids with food insecurity

[ Edited ]

Oops Double Post.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3  Unfortunately, the issues @IamMrsG  wrote about DO occur. To turn a blind eye to those truths as well as condemn anyone who points it out is foolish and doesn't help the situation in any way.

Outreach groups must think about these things; that's why they have rules. They often seem fair and cruel but there are always two sides. That's simply reality. 

A Pastor friend of mine who works in the WORST sections of Baltimore City would agree (much to the chagrin of many here) regarding constantly giving and giving. At city meetings, at his Church, during outreach he is always saying:

"Give a man a fish, he eats for the moment. Teach a man to fish, he eats forever".

There MOST be more done than just giving it away. There ARE those who cheat and make it their mission to do so and teach OTHERS to do the same. NONE of this is fair to those who need. NONE of it. But it happens and constantly. And it always destroys it for those it is truly intended for. THAT is what people should be angry at; not at posters putting forth a opinion you don't agree with (for whatever the reason).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pook wrote:

@Cakers3  Averages never give a true picrture of anything and make it look bad but a true picture can not be had with averages!  The government sticks with averages because it's easier and most don't realize that an accurate picture is not being given.  Although there is a sliding scale for households depending on how many members there are, this stat is based on all households with from one to 10 or more members with many working and receiving only a small benefit and is not really indicative of what most get.  So basically it's very inaccurate!  Those with income have many deductions taken from their total monthly income and what they are alloted should be sufficient to help them out and no child should go without food in any household receiving SNAP ever!

@Pook   I see-so the govt is actually lying and fudging figures. 

Since nothing will do for you, please post your personal statistical analysis of the true nature of the SNAP program.  Not stats pulled from the tree of unverified facts but your own thesis on what the real deal is.

Because this member of the unwashed mass needs to understand how you have the truth and how everyone else is wrong.

I'll wait.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 @I didn’t say all get both but that snap isn’t all of the help available.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@Cakers3  Unfortunately, the issues @IamMrsG  wrote about DO occur. To turn a blind eye to those truths as well as condemn anyone who points it out is foolish and doesn't help the situation in any way.

Outreach groups must think about these things; that's why they have rules. They often seem fair and cruel but there are always two sides. That's simply reality. 

A Pastor friend of mine who works in the WORST sections of Baltimore City would agree (much to the chagrin of many here) regarding constantly giving and giving. At city meetings, at his Church, during outreach he is always saying:

"Give a man a fish, he eats for the moment. Teach a man to fish, he eats forever".

There MOST be more done than just giving it away. There ARE those who cheat and make it their mission to do so and teach OTHERS to do the same. NONE of this is fair to those who need. NONE of it. But it happens and constantly. And it always destroys it for those it is truly intended for. THAT is what people should be angry at; not at posters putting forth a opinion you don't agree with (for whatever the reason).

@SahmIamNobody said that those situations do not happen. 

The point of discussion is to validate and debate.  That means posts such as hers that are filled with scorn and one-sided povs bring nothing to the table.

Go back and read what she said-she is saying that in HER EXPERIENCE with the PEOPLE SHE "HELPS"  that most are scammers.

She resents coats, laptops, cell phones, and has absolutely no idea about cause and effect.   Yet touts herself as a person of faith.

If she came to me for food, I'd give it without asking if she deserves it. 

Those who scam, and it's very little, will get bit in their arses eventually.

Can anybody submit valid stats that show how a person starved because another person scammed?  You can't.

Because those who are suffering are not suffering because somebody else ate a meal they didn't "deserve".  That is illogical and unsubstantiated.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3   remember what Mother Theresa always said

“If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives: Be kind anyway. If you are successful you will win some false friends and true enemies: Succeed anyway. If you are honest and frank people will try to cheat you: Be honest anyway. What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight: Build anyway. If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous of you: Be happy anyway. The good you do today, will often be forgotten by tomorrow: Do good anyway. Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough: Give your best anyway.”

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3I merely stated that any time averages are used for any stats an accurate picture is not given.  In this case a more accurate picture would be to average out each household number group and not lump them all together.  Averaging all is apples and oranges and will never give a true picture.  I had access to all stats nationwide when I worked and know how it is.  It's easier to lump everything together than doing many different calculations and that concept is or should be easy to understand.  Also the stats should only show the number nationwide, grouping each SNAP chart grouping and how many received that amount.  That would be an accurate picture and not make it look like SNAP was not sufficient to feed your family.  Our individual office had to do accurate reports but then the government took all those stats from every area and did one simple average to put out to the public.  

This is getting ridiculous and some will never get it so if anyone thinks they are walking the walk by saying they have helped a few kids eat then pat yourself on the back and don't worry about all those kids whose parents don't care or don't know how to parent.  Ignoring it won't make it go away - just grow into a bigger problem.  This post was a positive post about a great program one school was implementing but so many refuse to see the true picture of  children who go hungry needlessly. 

Honored Contributor

@Pook @I think you have said it best.people need more than food to get by.They need life skills.

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@Cakers3I merely stated that any time averages are used for any stats an accurate picture is not given.  In this case a more accurate picture would be to average out each household number group and not lump them all together.  Averaging all is apples and oranges and will never give a true picture.  I had access to all stats nationwide when I worked and know how it is.  It's easier to lump everything together than doing many different calculations and that concept is or should be easy to understand.  Also the stats should only show the number nationwide grouping each SNAP chart grouping and how many received that amount.  That would be an accurate picture and not make it look like SNAP was not sufficient to feed your family.  Our individual office had to do accurate reports but then the government took all those stats from every area and did one simple average to put out to the public.  

This is getting ridiculous and some will never get it so if anyone thinks they are walking the walk by saying they have helped a few kids eat then pat yourself on the back and don't worry about all those kids whose parents don't care or don't know how to parent.  Ignoring it won't make it go away - just grow into a bigger problem.  This post was a positive post about a great program one school was implementing but so many refuse to see the true picture of  children who go hungry needlessly. 

@Pook   Again, you are assuming that people who give are clueless.  You cannot possible know who is refusing to see the true picture based on what YOU SEE.

Every time we have threads about assistance out pops the usual buzz word-scammers.

I asked if you are saying that the govt is lying and fudging figures.  Since you seem to know this for a fact, please present your own personal independent study outlining and defending your position.

It's a simple request.  Facts, stats, conclusions.  And not from some odd website.

You insult people when you say they don't understand, and are so stuck in your pov that everyone else is wrong.

WE GET IT- SOME people do not deserve what they get.  But it's a minimal % and I'm asking you to prove otherwise.

You cannot.

Honored Contributor

I am not sure exactly what heaven will be like, but I don’t know that when we die and it comes time for God to judge us, he will NOT ask, ‘How many good things have you done in your life?’ Rather he will ask, ‘How much LOVE did you put into what you did?’” – Mother Teresa