Honored Contributor

Re: Help with fishy odor on jacket

Buy this at The Home Depot. It's scent-free and made specifically for fabrics:

OdoBan® 360° Neutralizer - $6

OdoBan_Unscented_Neutralizer_Odor_Eliminator-300x516.png

Honored Contributor

If it were me, I would ask her if she could take it back to the store or where ever it was that she got it.  Say to her as much as I love the jacket, I can't wear it because of the odor attached to it.

Honored Contributor

Try the Fabreze that specifically meant for clothing.  You washed it so that's about all you can do now.  I would have returned it.  I don't understand people who keep smelly clothes and jump through hoops to try to get the smell out.  It's like receiving a brand new dress with rip in it.  Would you sew it and keep the dress?  

Honored Contributor

Any way you can go to a brick and mortar store and see if the other jackets have the same smell?

And if they do, I'd go to customer service and explain you have one and have already washed it and can't get rid of the smell and you want your money back or a store credit.

You'll find another jacket you like. 

Unless you were able to rid the smell.    ??

I don't see how Febreeze would work.  I know people don't mind the scent.  But to me, spraying that stuff on a fishy smelling jacket would just make it smell like a fish wearing cheap perfume.  Gag.

Respected Contributor

I had a sample packet of Downy UN Stopables, in wash scent booster (fresh), that took out grease smells from work pants. Never knew about this product. 

Valued Contributor

Thank you to all who replied with such good options! I can't take the jacket back for a lot of reasons, so I'll soldier on and try each of the suggested remedies. I will say it's warm and cozy and nicely made. 

Merry Christmas to all!