Contributor

Help with breakout on dog's lower jaw / chin

Hi,

This is our first dog. She is 3 now but we are still learning things.

A week ago I noticed what looked like a red breakout or pimple on her lower jaw, about 2 -2 inches from her chin. It seems to be one big read bump that looks more like a rash than a pimple - but it's only one small area. I have been watching it and was hoping it would go away on its own. Last night I noticed the dog scratching it. I called the vet today and have an appointment for next Saturday.

In the meantime, has anyone experienced anything like this? Is there anything I can do to treat the area while I wait for my appointment? The receptionist suggested benadryl but honestly, the dog has itched the area once in 1 week. I don't want to give the dog benadryl unless there's a bigger problem with itching/scratching.

In the past week, I haven't noticed any change in the area. The fact that she was scratching at it last night tells me it's getting worse, not better.

I do wash her bowl after every meal, so I don't think she is picking up any bacteria from a dirty bowl. Yet the breakout is right where her bottom chin would hit the bowl. We have a stainless steal bowl.

Thanks for any help!

Linda