Honored Contributor

Re: Help - who has dry, peeling, painful lips? What are you using?

I really don't know if its totally dry weather, dry air, or what. I always keep my lips protected and I don't lick my lips. However --- and this might be TMI - but here goes --- I know that I drool when I sleep (not pretty - I apologize - {#emotions_dlg.crying}). I will wake up and my mouth will be all crusty. Yuck! Well, I don't know of anything you can do about that. I put a lip balm on before I go to bed thinking this will protect my lips.

A couple of years ago, I was having irritation of my lips and peeling on the inside of my mouth and the dentist said I was most likely allergic to something in my toothpaste and/or mouth rinse. At the time I was using a whitening and anti-plaque paste and also rinse. Once I stopped using these 2 things, my condition cleared up in no time. He recommended that I used plain old Colgate, which I do.

I cannot think of anything different I am using.???

In any event, I thank you a lot for your tips. My lips are not peeling as much since I have been using vaseline and I am going to purchase today Aquaphor or whatever else I can find in the drugstore today.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Humidifier by my bed at night, IT cosmetics CC+ lip gloss in day, Bite Agave lip mask at night, exfoliate 1-2x / week. This combo has dramatically helped my lips this year!!
Honored Contributor

On 1/28/2015 redtabby said:

Fresh Sugar Lip Polish will help with the peeling. Or make your own polish with a little olive oil and sugar (regular granulated or brown).

I use the Fresh Rose Lip Balm too....LOVE Fresh products!

Honored Contributor

Thanks, everyone! Oh, I can't wait for winter to end! Of course, we are getting another fresh dose this morning and looks like it will continue for the rest of the weekend and then some.

I tried to even exfoliate gently with a wash cloth and that just seemed to irritate my lips worse. So, for me, its just a gentle washing and then applying an ointment. I see some improvement -- but I am not there yet.

Respected Contributor

AngelPuppy, I have the same problem and will be watching for your update to see what works for you- I exfoliate with Skinn sugar lip exfoliant, and I don't think it helps those of us with this kind of chronic problem...Though i DO love Skinn..and Dmitri!

Honored Contributor

I have seen a lot of improvement in the last couple of days. I have had to temporarily (I hope) ditch wearing all my lipsticks and glosses. Instead I am slathering on vaseline, and Burt's Bees Kokum Balm. I have purchased various other balms, etc. over this past week and these 2 things seem to have given me the most relief. Also, in the evening I use an antiseptic ointment and this really seems to help.

I am not peeling that much at the moment but my lips are still very dry and the corners are rather raw. However, generally speaking, I feel I am improving.

I don't know whether a certain lipstick or balm had an ingredient that did not agree with me, and that, coupled with the dry heat, terribly cold weather, combined to really wreck havoc on my lips, or what.

In any event, I thank everyone for posting and giving me their input. It's very much appreciated. I can always count on you for support and assistance!