Honored Contributor

Help me with face masks and fogging glasses please

I'm not in the medical field and have never had a circumstance where I had to wear a face mask. I'm really struggling doing so, mostly because no matter what kind I try, my glasses are fogging up. 

I have to wear the glasses, or I can't see well enough to drive safely. I need them in the stores, to be able to read anything. So doing without them is kind of not a safe option. 

I have N95 masks, I have paper masks, I have the homemade fabric masks that people are now encouraged to use (even unlined, I have fogging issues), and the results are the same with each of them. Fogged glasses from breathing with the mask on.

How do people function with these things?! Help! Give me your tips. There has to be something, because so many people who use these daily wear glasses. What am I missing here?

Thanks for any help!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Help me with face masks and fogging glasses please

@Mominohio This was published in Forbes

Here are some ways you can prevent glasses fog:

• Put a tissue inside the top of the mask: If you fold a tissue horizontally and put it between your face and the top of your mask—so it sits over the bridge of your nose— the moisture from your breath will be absorbed by the tissue instead of hitting your glasses lenses.

The tissue method, shown with a homemade cloth mask.

RACHEL SANDLER

• Buy a mask that molds to your nose: Masks that have a flexible wire allow you to mold it around the bridge of your nose, blocking the warm exhaled air from your mouth.
  • Wash your glasses with soapy water: According to The Royal College of Surgeons of England article, washing your glasses with soapy water leaves behind a thin film that reduces surface tension and causes the water molecules to spread out evenly into a transparent layer, thus de-fogging your glasses
Honored Contributor

i have seen this addressed on tutorials

try a kleenex or soft paper towel folded up long way and place along bridge of nose where you mask will sit. that is one of the fixes I have read about does it work don't know. I wear glasses but not all the time. my husband has to wear glasses, (he is totally blind without them), he wear masks low on the nose and he says that is what works for him.

Honored Contributor

@FlyersGirl wrote:

@Mominohio This was published in Forbes

Here are some ways you can prevent glasses fog:

• Put a tissue inside the top of the mask: If you fold a tissue horizontally and put it between your face and the top of your mask—so it sits over the bridge of your nose— the moisture from your breath will be absorbed by the tissue instead of hitting your glasses lenses.

RACHEL SANDLER

• Buy a mask that molds to your nose: Masks that have a flexible wire allow you to mold it around the bridge of your nose, blocking the warm exhaled air from your mouth.
  • Wash your glasses with soapy water: According to The Royal College of Surgeons of England article, washing your glasses with soapy water leaves behind a thin film that reduces surface tension and causes the water molecules to spread out evenly into a transparent layer, thus de-fogging your glasses

@FlyersGirl 

Thank you!

Some great ideas to try, and very helpful! 

Honored Contributor

FlyersGirl mentioned washing your glasses in soapy water. My husband had been told to wash his glasses with shaving cream to prevent the glasses from getting foggy. Sounds similar.

Esteemed Contributor

I was wrestling with this when I had to pick up my prescriptions,. I was also getting so hot it started to effect my breathing. I did not know about the tissue trick so I will try to remember to do it. What worked for me whas to adjust the nose piece. That little piece of tin that you squeeze to fit the bridge of your nose. I bent mine in two spots at the nose so it still fit under my glasses but allowed a bit of release on the tip of the upper nose for the exhale to escape to the top of the mask. Still safe. Play around with that fitting and see if that works for you.  

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio    You don't need to wear the mask when driving under most circumstances.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

When i wear my glasses I have had this same problem! Im happy to get the suggestions here too.  I dont seem to have the problem when wearing my sunglasses though.

If we all had the same opinion or everyone was the same. the world would be a very boring place!
Respected Contributor

I regularly wash my glasses with warm, soapy water, and I'm still having fogging (not bad enough that I can't see, though.) I'm going to try adding the tissue. Thanks @Mominohio  for the thread,and @FlyersGirl for the tip!

@Kachina624 It's true you don't need to wear the mask while driving, but you're only supposed to touch it (putting it on or adjusting it) with super clean hands. That's way easier for me to manage at home, before heading out. If I were going to be driving more than ~ 10 mins to get to my destination, though, I'd just sanitize my hands well in the car and put it on when I got where I was going. Assuming I still have (or have been able to find) sanitizing gel or spray by then! My area is well stocked for most groceries and even paper products, but we still can't find bleach wipes or hand sanitizer. I have plenty of hand soap though!

Respected Contributor

An N95 mask when applied properly should have no leaking of air out of it to fog up your glasses. That is why professionals are fit tested and trained before wearing them. The entire outer area of the mask should not allow air in or out and all air is filtered through lthe mask.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown