Esteemed Contributor

Re: Help for puppy peeing when excited!

My Lab did this as a puppy. She outgrew it too. I made everyone greet her outside first to spare the clean ups haha. She's seven now, a beautiful chocolate and finally well settled. Good luck with the new puppy. Thank you for taking a rescue! LM

Respected Contributor

My experience has been they outgrow it. Just give it some time.

Respected Contributor

We have had several pups and most of them did that when they were excited even though they were house broken. It usually happened when someone came home and they were so happy to see someone. Have patience, they will out grow it.

Super Contributor

On 2/21/2015 Lilysmom said:

My Lab did this as a puppy. She outgrew it too. I made everyone greet her outside first to spare the clean ups haha. She's seven now, a beautiful chocolate and finally well settled. Good luck with the new puppy. Thank you for taking a rescue! LM

Hi, Lilysmom--we have a 90 lb, 18 month old black Lab and previously had another black one. We would really like to get a chocolate Lab someday! Thanks for sharing!

Labs Rule! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/21/2015 lucylover64 said:

Hi, Lilysmom--we have a 90 lb, 18 month old black Lab and previously had another black one. We would really like to get a chocolate Lab someday! Thanks for sharing!

Hi Lucylover! I have had a black, a yellow and now chocolate Lab. The best dogs. What they say about chocolates taking longer to settle down was true for us. It took four years instead of the usual two. Yours is a big one! Ours is 65 lbs, much smaller than our yellow Lab who was 75-80. All muscle!

Sorry to go OT, OP. LM

Super Contributor

On 2/22/2015 Lilysmom said:
On 2/21/2015 lucylover64 said:

Hi Lucylover! I have had a black, a yellow and now chocolate Lab. The best dogs. What they say about chocolates taking longer to settle down was true for us. It took four years instead of the usual two. Yours is a big one! Ours is 65 lbs, much smaller than our yellow Lab who was 75-80. All muscle!

Sorry to go OT, OP. LM

Thanks for sharing, Lilysmom! OMG: I did not know that about chocolates. Sigh....we may need to rethink this one! LOL! Yes, our black one is a big girl: her parents were each about 100 lbs! Our girl is so goofy and oblivious to her size--she definitely lives large! Have a great day and enjoy your chocolate! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Esteemed Contributor

My sisters chocolate is one hundred pounds. He is eleven and still creates mischief. Just the other day ahe was making crafts with the kids. They were pipe cleaners with fruit loops shaped as a heart. She left them on the counter. She went to work and her husband was getting the kids ready to go to school and they disappeared off the counter. The stupid dog ate it including the pipe cleaners. A trip to the vet confirmed through exrays and they had to stick a scope in to get it out. We call it the adventures of big chocolate.
Honored Contributor

yes I've noticed this too- chocolate labs do seem to take longer to become less, shall we say, Puppy-ish. Smiley Happy LOVE the big ol' chocolate labs and miss my big boy!

Esteemed Contributor

Bossmama, pls forgive me as this is turning into a chocolate Lab storytelling thread. I just have to add a story to go along with ccassiday's story.

When my Lab was about six month's old, I was making a batch of pie crust which I individually wrap and freeze. I had eight perfectly wrapped pie crusts when, up from the floor bounces my puppy. She grabs the closest one and is off to the races.

I had the kitchen door and French doors blocked off as we were still in dog training mode. That dog had a ball running me around the table trying to catch her. The little rat swallowed the Saran wrapped pie crust in one gulp. OMG, I was ready to kill her. Our vet was called out on an emergency call so we made an appointment. I had to follow the dog every time she went to do her business. She eventually passed the Saran wrap with no ill effect. That fixed me on leaving things on the counter. Never again!

Super Contributor

On 2/22/2015 ccassaday said: My sisters chocolate is one hundred pounds. He is eleven and still creates mischief. Just the other day ahe was making crafts with the kids. They were pipe cleaners with fruit loops shaped as a heart. She left them on the counter. She went to work and her husband was getting the kids ready to go to school and they disappeared off the counter. The stupid dog ate it including the pipe cleaners. A trip to the vet confirmed through exrays and they had to stick a scope in to get it out. We call it the adventures of big chocolate.

OMG!