Trusted Contributor

Re: Help Me With Tips TO Save Money-Please????

@Malcontent wrote:

Let’s start with you only need one [1] question mark.

Wow!

Trusted Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

Before you panic and cut back on things you need, take a good hard look at your budget, how much money will be coming in and how much your bills come to. Do this for a couple of months so you get an average amount of what things actually cost you. Then you can make an educated determination as to where and if you need cut back and trim your expenses. You may find that things are not as dire as you seem to think they are. Wishing you good luck and try to enjoy your retirement.

Thank you! So niceSmiley Happy

Respected Contributor

a garden?

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

I just did my budget and I spent 800 on groceries too.  That is a bit high.  I'm using coupons and buying what is on sale and freezing.  I have a full pantry and am using that food up.  You might find the same in your home.  I have cut that 800 by $100 so far and hope to cut by another 100.

I had been spending way too much on qvc.  I stopped that and am on month 3 with no qvc purchases.  

If you have early bird dinners in your area, lots of people take advantage of them when eating out.  

You are doing just what I;m doing nowSmiley Happy Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

I just did my budget and I spent 800 on groceries too.  That is a bit high.  I'm using coupons and buying what is on sale and freezing.  I have a full pantry and am using that food up.  You might find the same in your home.  I have cut that 800 by $100 so far and hope to cut by another 100.

I had been spending way too much on qvc.  I stopped that and am on month 3 with no qvc purchases.  

If you have early bird dinners in your area, lots of people take advantage of them when eating out.  

Yup-those are the two area that I'm concentrating on alsoSmiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@september wrote:

Where I live, $800/month isn’t too much for groceries for two people who seldom eat out.  This has been mentioned already.  Add grown children and grandchildren who eat some meals with you....can’t imagine how to do it for less, without sacrificing on quality/ fresh foods.  

Yes-I think I really do agree with you-I'm a vegetarian and like to eat fresh and healthy.

Trusted Contributor

@TheMemphisVette wrote:

a garden?

Yes! We do thatSmiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Thanks all-some great advice!  You are right-it's almost like a gameSmiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Hubby and I are retired as well - with 4 cats. I'd suggest that you forego the "nice grocery store" except for only the items that you like and can't find elsewhere. Instead, buy the basics from a discount store, e.g., paper towels, bread, milk, laundry soap, T.P., canned items, cereal, crackers/chips, pet food, coffee/tea, frozen items, etc. We have a higher end grocery store that I love, but the prices for everyday items are just too high for weekly shopping. I like their fresh meat and produce, so that's where I try to stock up when they have a sale. But - I never buy the basics there.

Grocery prices have really gone up, so it pays to shop at a discount store. It's amazing how much less you'll pay. And of course, always make a list of what you need and take it with you! If you have an Aldi's close by - check it out. If not, then shop at Walmart, Sam's, Costco, or whatever discount stores you have in your area. Best of luck to you.

Honored Contributor

For those of you who say you save money by buying food at dollar stores or other discount stores...I have to ask what you buy there, other than canned goods?