Esteemed Contributor

Re: Help! Advice on house purchase closing

I'm staying with my cousin, she's single and has a 4 bedroom home. Although I rarely see her, she works a lot. But I make dinner and clean the house so it's been really nice for both of us.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Help! Advice on house purchase closing

@Carmie wrote:

When you make an offer on a house and it is accepted, both the buyer and the seller enter into a binding agreement.  You are both bound to what is in writing on the contract from the moment is it signed by both parties.

If the contract states that you must close by Aug 31 even if you planned to close earlier, then the contract is valid until that date.  if the settlement is after Aug 31, you would need an extension.  if you fail to get one, the contract is over.  I would hope that the contract is contingent on you being able to secure financing.  

You should NOT pay for any of this couples travel expensives.  Unless the contract you signed states you would.

Please be aware that your realtor is working for the seller and not you unless you are paying this person a fee.  The realtor is bound by law  to be on the sellers side.

if you run into any problems, I suggest that you hire a real estate attorney to look after your interests.  I don't feel that the sellers or the realtor want you to walk away from the sale.  it is in both of their interests that you purchase the home.

I am a licensed Realtor in the state of PA.

Where is the lawyer of the OP? I knows contracts, closing etc rules are different in each state.