Honored Contributor

Re: Heirlooms--kids don't want them...how to repurpose

If I can't use something for its original purpose, it moves on.  I have a handful of items passed down that I've kept that bring back memories when I look at them.  I treasure those items.  Other items moved along. 

Honored Contributor

The objects I treasure from my parents & grandparents are things like the long fork I've seen my Mom use a zillion times to stir spaghetti as it cooked. Or the knife grandma used every day that is so thin from grandpa sharpening it that its barely there anymore. Or Mom's aprons.When I  see them I can picture in my mind's eye them at the stove using those things. I didn't want anything of value - I wanted the things that keep them alive in my head. 

My grandparents had a radio sitting on top of their fridge and they would listen to KDKA (first radio station ever) Pittsburgh while they had breakfast. I still have that radio in our bedroom but we listen to KDKA radio from Pittsburgh in the mornings on DH's computer. It is neat to be able to hear what's going on in the burgh here in Florida. BTW - the radio from my grandparents is mint green bakelite.Won't see that every day.

Honored Contributor

My MIL collected antiques and loved fine furniture and fine things in general. When she died, people could not believe we did not want to keep the stuff and were selling the bulk of it at auction. I hated to see her things go, but we all have our own stuff and my husband and I just did not have the room for it. I did keep a few things like her sterling flatware, Polish crystal and her pisanki easter eggs that I coveted when she was alive. The eggs must be 40 years old and the crystal older than that. It is a shame the kids today do not find value in the past. I'm refinishing my dry sink, blanket chest and blind cupboard this summer. My son said he would be interested in those pieces if they didn't look like antiques and were more functional. So there you go.

Trusted Contributor

Surprised at a few of the back and forths on this topic.  If items belong to your husband and they mean something to him then I would say that he has a right to keep them and it is not your right to get rid of them when he is gone for work or not looking.  WOW.   it was just the tone of comments made by several people on this topic that took me by surprise.

Esteemed Contributor

@kjae wrote:

Surprised at a few of the back and forths on this topic.  If items belong to your husband and they mean something to him then I would say that he has a right to keep them and it is not your right to get rid of them when he is gone for work or not looking.  WOW.   it was just the tone of comments made by several people on this topic that took me by surprise.

ITA. 

While no 'heirlooms', DS chose to keep cards, notes, photos that were given to him by his father and grandmother that have passed on.

While he was at home all I asked was that they be kept neat or put away. These were gifts and momentos to him and I have no right to diminish his loss by tossing them behind his back.

Honored Contributor

i really don’t have any heirlooms per say. Have old silvery gravy boat i got 50 yrs for a engage gift. Have a few other tidbits. I doubt the kids will want them. Where they go someone will be happy i guess.

Honored Contributor

I have several complete sets of china that were passed down from my mother and grandmother; I see these on ebay for hundreds or thousands of dollars...but they are still there. My daughters don't want them and I figured witih five granddaughters they would want to pass them down...but no. Guess the Goodwill will have some lucky shoppers soon. DH has so much sports junk that he would never part with...but he hates if I have anything that was passed down from anyone.....men are from mars......its true

Honored Contributor

Life changes, life styes change.  Unless it's the generation directly behind you, your life will be different than theirs.  

These mothers (always a few don't), all work.  They don't have time to hand wash china.  Personally, I think it's beautiful.  I have some of my great grandmother's platters from her wedding china.  It has little pink roses with gold trim.  She was the wife of the master carpenter and artisan of Biltmore House.  They're lovely!

Enjoy what you have and use it.  Stop "saving" it for special.  Life is special!

You are special.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Most people have more "stuff" than they really need or want in their household. Most younger folkds do not care to "inherit" parents or grandparents "stuff". When will people realize it is just stuff. Unless you have something of true value or sentiment, most people do not want to take your old " stuff" to their household. unless it holds true sentiment or is usable, suvch as nice furniture, nice jewelry, for men sometimes it may be a firarm or sportsman type equipment. . To me memories  of that person and the love you had for them is what is important. Not their old " stuff". 

Trusted Contributor

We miss our daily Spokesman Review,they sadly quit delivering out our way after getting it for 28 years.