Respected Contributor

Re: Heirlooms--kids don't want them...how to repurpose

@lovesrecess wrote:

I have several complete sets of china that were passed down from my mother and grandmother; I see these on ebay for hundreds or thousands of dollars...but they are still there. My daughters don't want them and I figured witih five granddaughters they would want to pass them down...but no. Guess the Goodwill will have some lucky shoppers soon. DH has so much sports junk that he would never part with...but he hates if I have anything that was passed down from anyone.....men are from mars......its true

@lovesrecess  Sell them to Replacements where someon who can use and love these china sets will enjoy them and you can make some $$.

Respected Contributor

@Snowpuppy  My DH's 'mementos' make it so I can not enjoy my own family mementos  in our home.

The clutter is unwieldy and impacts all of our quality of life, esp. as we are getting older and in my DH's case, sicker. We are dealing w/a health crisis and I have no room to take care of  old hole in one trophies.

All of our situations are different- judge not...

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@kjae wrote:

Surprised at a few of the back and forths on this topic.  If items belong to your husband and they mean something to him then I would say that he has a right to keep them and it is not your right to get rid of them when he is gone for work or not looking.  WOW.   it was just the tone of comments made by several people on this topic that took me by surprise.

You have to really live with a true hoarder to understand. 

This isn't about a few boxes in the closet for many people. And it isn't about his taste being different from or offensive to his wife. It's about out and out trash and junk, and so much of it, that it interferes with the relationship, the living space, and his mental health. 

There are several of us on here that have shared having husbands that are truly out of control with 'their space' and what is occupying it. 

It really isn't as simple as it seems in this thread, and isn't really mean when you know the back story on some of the situations.