Reply
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,199
Registered: ‎07-02-2015

Heirlooms--kids don't want them...how to repurpose

[ Edited ]
Honored Contributor
Posts: 19,497
Registered: ‎08-08-2010

Re: Heirlooms--kids don't want them...how to repurpose

Nice article. 

 

I have mixed emotions about this.

 

I love the past, and the things that were a part of it. It's all about history and family and tradition. 

 

But, if people are going to give away or throw away things, making them into something else that will keep that traditional family history close to those that lived it, then I think it is a great solution relative to simply removing those things entirely from one's life.

 

We have done similar things with wood. Great old wood (oak)from the local high school that I, my father and my grandmother all attended (as well as many cousins) has been saved and will be made into pens for all of us. 

 

It's a great way to carry the past on into the future.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 25,929
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Heirlooms--kids don't want them...how to repurpose

My DH is an only child, his Mom was also an only child -- he has a ton of family heirlooms.Add to that he is a hoarder and OMG - I do have things pretty well gotten rid of slowly over the years, but every piece of krap I donate or toss out is a battle.

I also have many things from my family but nothing at all like he has because I have 5 brothers.

I keep trying to tell him he will still have the memories despite we get rid of the object.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,354
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Heirlooms--kids don't want them...how to repurpose


@151949 wrote:

My DH is an only child, his Mom was also an only child -- he has a ton of family heirlooms.Add to that he is a hoarder and OMG - I do have things pretty well gotten rid of slowly over the years, but every piece of krap I donate or toss out is a battle.

I also have many things from my family but nothing at all like he has because I have 5 brothers.

 

I think my DH is your DH's long lost brother-pack rat to the max!

 

He becomes outraged if I try to get rid of anything.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 25,929
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Heirlooms--kids don't want them...how to repurpose


@maestra wrote:

@151949 wrote:

My DH is an only child, his Mom was also an only child -- he has a ton of family heirlooms.Add to that he is a hoarder and OMG - I do have things pretty well gotten rid of slowly over the years, but every piece of krap I donate or toss out is a battle.

I also have many things from my family but nothing at all like he has because I have 5 brothers.

 

I think my DH is your DH's long lost brother-pack rat to the max!

 

He becomes outraged if I try to get rid of anything.


It was easier for me before he retired because he travelled for his job. Now he is here all the time it's almost impossible.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,354
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Heirlooms--kids don't want them...how to repurpose

@151949  I have to make sure that I get to edit/review anything that comes into our home, b/c once DH see's it, it's here forever.

 

DH is retired, so I have to rely (most of the time) out of sight, out of mind.

 

We still have his dad's trophy cup for hitting a hole in one at a country club-25 years ago.

 

I cant wait to get rid of that!

Honored Contributor
Posts: 25,929
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Heirlooms--kids don't want them...how to repurpose

@maestra  I used to toss stuff when he was travelling and later he'd be looking for it and I'd say "I don't know - it's yours - where did you put it." and he'd fall for it & think he lost it. I got away with a lot back then.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,279
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Heirlooms--kids don't want them...how to repurpose

I have a few items that my SO had inherited long before I knew him.  We did finally gift a large crystal chandalier to his younger brother and I've sold a few items since his death 5 years ago, but I still have a few more pieces.  In fact, I just put 5 pieces of stemware into my thrift box.  Judging from the dust I washed away, I hadn't touched them for far too long -  and I have enough of my own to try to pass on.  It's not easy at all.

 

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,781
Registered: ‎09-01-2010

Re: Heirlooms--kids don't want them...how to repurpose

As the only granddaughter, I inherited a lot of family stuff from my mothers family.   On Friday, I told my mom that if I’d had a dollar for every time I heard “I want you to have this some day”, I would at least have a fistful of cash instead of a lot of old, worn out stuff I don’t want.  

 

My grandmothers family was very poor, and the things she inherited were worn out by the time she got them, so it’s not like I inherited nice stuff.  I just simply have items that belonged directly to my great grandparents.   As an adult, I learned the china cabinet has a spiteful story connected to it, which took away any appeal it might have had to me in my younger days.   

 

My daughters have taken the items they want; dishes, glassware, silverware, items my grandmother crocheted or embroidered, etc.   I have shared items with my nephew for his home.  I sent a box of my grandmothers handmade things to a cousin who was a step grandchild.  

 

On Friday I had a conversation with my mom about the china cabinet, which immediately launched her into repeating that spiteful story I did not want to hear one more time, but as soon as she finished, I told her I was going to burn the cabinet, and let the history of it be in the past, with no visual reminder.   Mom was surprised I even still had it, as she knows I’m not tolerant of the quirks and stories about my grandmothers family.   

Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,415
Registered: ‎11-25-2011

Re: Heirlooms--kids don't want them...how to repurpose


@151949 wrote:

@maestra wrote:

@151949 wrote:

My DH is an only child, his Mom was also an only child -- he has a ton of family heirlooms.Add to that he is a hoarder and OMG - I do have things pretty well gotten rid of slowly over the years, but every piece of krap I donate or toss out is a battle.

I also have many things from my family but nothing at all like he has because I have 5 brothers.

 

I think my DH is your DH's long lost brother-pack rat to the max!

 

He becomes outraged if I try to get rid of anything.


It was easier for me before he retired because he travelled for his job. Now he is here all the time it's almost impossible.


Unfortunately, my dad had to pass away before our family

could clean out the farm house & shop. It was always a

bone of contention with our family when we were growing up...

especially between Mom-Dad.