Honored Contributor

Order one for me please...Woman Very Happy

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I am an Italian girl from PA who makes these sandwiches quite often.

I cook down fresh tomatoes and then fry one hot and a bunch sweet peppers in olive oil and mix the fresh tomatoe purée in with it..then cook Italian sausage and simmer with the peppers and tomatoes.

I serve it in thick crusty rolls with mozzarella cheese, if wanted.

I always take this dish to family reunions. My brother makes homemade Italian sausage just like my father did.  I prefer using his sausage to store bought.

@LilacTree  I wish I could a send a sausage sub sandwich to you.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I am an Italian girl from PA who makes these sandwiches quite often.

I cook down fresh tomatoes and then fry one hot and a bunch sweet peppers in olive oil and mix the fresh tomatoe purée in with it..then cook Italian sausage and simmer with the peppers and tomatoes.

I serve it in thick crusty rolls with mozzarella cheese, if wanted.

I always take this dish to family reunions. My brother makes homemade Italian sausage just like my father did.  I prefer using his sausage to store bought.

@LilacTree  I wish I could a send a sausage sub sandwich to you.

@Carmie 

How sweet you are!  I don’t think I ever had homemade sausage, and never really ate a lot of it. I really don’t think about food that often, but like a song you can’t stop hearing in your brain it just keeps popping in sometimes. Actually I would probably suffer for days if I ever did eat your delicious sub.

But thank you for the lovely thought!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree   I understand.  I long to eat friscelle. I love it   My best friends aunt used to make it and when I was pregnant, she made me a whole batch.  I dream about eating it again.  My husband used to tell me that he would buy me fresh so I didn't have to eat stale bread.  He's not Italian and doesn't " get" it.

Because I have Celiac disease, it will remain a dream....a good dream. If I ate it, I would spend at least a week in the bathroom.

Honored Contributor

My niece and family are here at Jersey visiting from out of state.  The second day they were here they wanted Italian food.  We ordered calzones, chicken parm sandwiches and pasta dishes and mussels.  It was devoured and gone in a short time!  We also had creamy Italian ice which is home made by a nearby Italian Bakery.  To say my niece and family were thrilled is an understatement.

While I love this food too, I am surrounded by all different foods from many cultures.  I am   fortunate, but on the down side, I too have to watch what I eat.  My grandmother used to make home made sausage, hot and sweet.  I love sausage but to this day have never found sausage as good as hers and I doubt I ever will.

Valued Contributor

@LilacTree @Carmie 

Years ago, I decided to go vegetarian.

Day 1: Went okay.

Day 2: At work, I could not stop thinking about sausage in sauce. Went to Italian store, bought 2.5# of their homemade sausage, went home and made it for supper.

Day 4: Leftovers Smiley Happy

I don't eat a lot of meat now, but sometimes I just gotta!  

Respected Contributor

Oh I know how those heavenly dreams are.  Here I am in NM surrounded by Northern NM food, other NM food, Mexican food and all I want is Tex-Mex.