Respected Contributor

it hit 113 degrees here in L A/San Fernando Valley -  higher tomorrow.  of course we always have a bunch of 100+ degree days during the summer.  we had a nice coolish May so guess we were due for a hit.  thank goodness for a/c.  despite that kitties are splayed out on bathroom tile floor.   we should back off to the 90's Tuesday.  i worry about the firefighters -  of course rain is out of the question here.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

It's miserably hot, hot, hot in the Southwest.  It's about 100° outside at my house right now, and is supposed to be as much as 120° today in the Phoenix area.  Wildfires burning in several states with one 27,000 acre fire burning just South of Albuquerque.  

We're under some sort of hazardous air advisory and they've advised people with evaporative coolers, which bring in outside air, to turn them off.  Are they kidding?  I'd rather have a little smoke than 100° in my house, although it's not exactly frigid with the cooler on.

Dare we hope this too will pass...soon?

@Kachina624

106 degrees in Los Angeles today ...  and hotter tomorrow.  Good day to stay in and read a book in the A/C, which is really as much a necessity as furnace heat is in the very cold winters.

My heart breaks for the Firefighters that have to put on those big, heavy suits and fight spreading fires in this heat.   

Everybody:   Please say a little prayer for the Firefighters out there trying to keep our homes and land safe.

Honored Contributor

@loveschocolate wrote:

@Kachina624, have you always lived there?? Someday, I hope to get out that way...

@loveschocolate  No, I spent most of my adult life in Texas but managed to escape when I retired.  Came to NM to help my parents who had retired here from Pa.  They're gone now and I'm here alone but I love it most days....today not so much.  It's a beautiful and historically interesting state.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

I live on the west side of Tucson and it's currently 115 on my patio, which is on the east side of my house.  Hasn't been this hot here in several years.  Praying for the monsoon to show up soon.

Honored Contributor

Hit 117° at 4 pm in my neighborhood...........my a/c would only take it down to 90°.................and Kitty The Fuzz wanted to cuddle.   OMG......a fur blanket on mother cat...............(!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Amen to praying for the firefighters.  I don't know how they stand it. 

I heard a couple of joggers have died of heat exhaustion.  They defy common sense; jogging in this heat?  There was also a jogger in the mountains not too far from me in the Valles Caldera National Preserve who was attacked by a bear this morning.  They flew her out and she'll be okay.

Trusted Contributor

I'm hunkered down in my home in Phoenix and intend to stay indoors for the next few days due to temps near 120!!  I am prepared with provisions and have everything I need to survive as long as the power remains onSmiley HappySmiley HappySmiley Happy  I'm here in Phx for 24 years so I know the "drill"...however, this is the most intense heat I've ever experienced.  I think I'll go outside to grab the mail and throw out the trash tomorrow about 6 am and get back inside.  October can't come quickly enough for me...this is rough...

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Hit 117° at 4 pm in my neighborhood...........my a/c would only take it down to 90°.................and Kitty The Fuzz wanted to cuddle.   OMG......a fur blanket on mother cat...............(!)

I've been thinking  of you @Desertdi and wondered if Phoenix will break it's all-time heat record.  Dogs don't want anything to do with my hot bod.  They haven't been eating much either.  My poor little black sheltie has a very heavy coat and looks so hot.

Respected Contributor

Very hot here in SoCal too. We were warned by CA Public Utilities Commission that blackouts are very likely this summer. Praying that doesn't happen because I don't think the elderly could survive 100+ degrees without a/c. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@Desertdi...I don't think I could deal with that kind of heat. One of my cats lays in front of the A/C, and the other one wants to lay on me, so I can relate. Smiley Sad

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.