Honored Contributor

Heathrow airport and British Airways to strike

My poor daughter.  Her family has been planning a cruise leaving out of Barcelona for two years.  She booked her flights to Heathrow and then to Spain one year ago. She was notified today, 2 weeks before flight there would be no flight with British Airways, and no airport open. They are struggling to find flights. It is awful.  No luck yet.  Has anyone been effected by these 2 different strikes?

Honored Contributor

Re: Heathrow airport and British Airways to strike

Hopefully they are using a travel agent to find another airline & airport?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@shoekitty   I would have been but moved flights as I want to be home for  Brexit in Oct.  Try Gatwick Airport it is outside of London but good connections to inner city - smaller airport not so much hassle generally but with strikes looming who knows.  Hope it works out for them.

Esteemed Contributor

At this point, I sure hope your daughter has a travel agent (plus travel insurance).  She might also call the cruise line and ask for their help.

Respected Contributor

P.s.  I never fly British Airways use mostly Virgin.

Honored Contributor

Traveller's insurance should cover the change in flights.

Respected Contributor

Two weeks is still time to find a solution.

I was in Europe this summer  (also on a cruise) and BA cancelled part of my return flight without any advance notice, due to some kind of computer malfunction across the world.

I was able to find another flight on a different airline to buy last minute at the airport.

When I travel internationally on complex itineraries, I purchase travel insurance, and I have received a reimbursement.

Unfortunately, the BA pilot strike has been discussed in the news for a while.

You do not say where your daughter lives, but plenty of flights go directly from the US to Barcelona and the prices are quite reasonable this time of year. She should also check out connections via other major cities, such as Amsterdam and Paris.

Also, she can surely adjust her travel days to stay either a few days earlier or later to get the best flight costs. There are many inexpensive hotels in Barcelona.

She should receive a full refund on the BA tickets eventually.

I wish her the best and hope she has a wonderful cruise!

Esteemed Contributor

I hope everything works out so that your DD and family can take this trip they have been dreaming of!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, after hours on the phone, they referred her to another dept.  then it was closed!!!  So early this morning she got on phone wit aamerican and got 2 seats.  Not as good as she had, but decent.  She doesn't care to travel with american airlines, but at this point...its a ride. She goes from california to PA, then to Barcalona

the pilot strike with British airline is set for 9,10 and 27 of sept.  Her flight  was for 10th.  The rest of the group she was traveling with didnt get cancelled as they are set for the 11th.  But I wonder myself if it is going to be a delayed,  flight because of strike 2 days before.