Honored Contributor

Re: Heartstrings for Naples and Sanibel Island

I am equally worroed about Siesta Key just a little North

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

@JillyMarie wrote:

@FrostyBabe1I have a bunch of friends who winter on Anna Maria Island.  One problem I noticed was that the buildings were, for the most part, older and therefore not up to current hurricane codes.  It's a charming Old Florida kind of place but if it takes a solid hit it could be severly damaged.

@FrostyBabe1 Yep. Lots of beautiful old homes going away. But, I'm more worried about the geography.

Trusted Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

I'm not familiar with these areas-it sounds devastating.Woman Sad

@Cakers3 My we spent so many vacations in Naples with our children while visiting our parents. Just perfect days and nights. Now, we vacation in Sanibel, when we can. They are both so opposite the vibe of Miami/Dade. Just laid back!

Same here pa mom...such a beautiful area...my brother got married there several years ago; heartbreaking

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

Steve Harrigan is reporting from Naples and says it's not as bad as Harvey and Katrina, but I just think it looks BAD!

Conditions in Naples are predicted to worsen in the next nour.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JillyMarie wrote:

@FrostyBabe1I have a bunch of friends who winter on Anna Maria Island.  One problem I noticed was that the buildings were, for the most part, older and therefore not up to current hurricane codes.  It's a charming Old Florida kind of place but if it takes a solid hit it could be severly damaged.

And that's really no different than what you'll see on Longboat or Siesta or Marco or any of those other islands, with the exception that there aren't any high rises on Anna Maria. Additionally, those older homes and buildings are being snatched up by developers who knock them down and rebuild mini-mansion rentals. Friends of mine own a beach front resort that, although built in the 70's, will more than withstand Category 5 winds. It's the water that's the danger for them. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Trusted Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@JillyMarie Like something we have never seen in our lifetimes!

One of the talking heads referred to Irma as a nuclear hurricane.

Esteemed Contributor

Steve Harrigan just said he was reporting from 5th Ave. in Naples. Up to his ankles.

Valued Contributor

I just heard that Irma will be downgraded soon. I don't know if this will make any difference, but it does give us some hope. I went through Hurricane Andrew in South Miami 25 years ago......and thought that was the worst.....but Irma is much worse.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom@Carol08@JillyMarie@FrostyBabe1@FrostyBabe1

#SteveHarrigan on his birthday, no less 🎂🎈🎉

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you are on facebook you can friend/follow Naples Daily News - they are providing good info for locals.