Esteemed Contributor

Re: Heartbroken by All the Devastation in Parts of Florida Hit Hard by Ian

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Zhills wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

I've read that the flooded areas are full of gators and snakes.  Perhaps it will take longer for the clean up to begin, as they will want the water to recede.  I'm not sure if that's what needs to be done, however, I feel so bad for the people who have been affected in Florida and Puerto Rico.

Not really "full of" but their homes are underwater also.  Yes, a few are visible.  Large areas are flooded and have been for over a week now.  They have no places to hide!

Well I guess the stories I've read are overstating the problem, then @Zhills .  Since these creatures were sort of displaced I read that they are "everywhere" and the areas where homes had severe flooding is full of gators and snakes.  

@Zhills @gertrudecloset 

They don't have to be everywhere to still be a major problem.  One year ago Hurricane Ida (high CAT 4) hit SE Louisiana.  We were hit pretty bad in the New Orleans area, but there wasn't a lot of national news coverage because the levees held and loss of life was minimal. 

But one of the deaths that stuck with me was a man in his 60s or 70s who was killed by an alligator.  He and his wife had a house on the water in an area outside of the city.  The morning after the storm he told his wife he was going out to the boathouse to check on things.  He didn't come back.  She went out to find him in the boathouse struggling with a gator, but was unable to save him.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Zhills wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

I've read that the flooded areas are full of gators and snakes.  Perhaps it will take longer for the clean up to begin, as they will want the water to recede.  I'm not sure if that's what needs to be done, however, I feel so bad for the people who have been affected in Florida and Puerto Rico.

Not really "full of" but their homes are underwater also.  Yes, a few are visible.  Large areas are flooded and have been for over a week now.  They have no places to hide!

Well I guess the stories I've read are overstating the problem, then @Zhills .  Since these creatures were sort of displaced I read that they are "everywhere" and the areas where homes had severe flooding is full of gators and snakes.  

@Zhills @gertrudecloset 

They don't have to be everywhere to still be a major problem.  One year ago Hurricane Ida (high CAT 4) hit SE Louisiana.  We were hit pretty bad in the New Orleans area, but there wasn't a lot of national news coverage because the levees held and loss of life was minimal. 

But one of the deaths that stuck with me was a man in his 60s or 70s who was killed by an alligator.  He and his wife had a house on the water in an area outside of the city.  The morning after the storm he told his wife he was going out to the boathouse to check on things.  He didn't come back.  She went out to find him in the boathouse struggling with a gator, but was unable to save him.

How utterly heartbreaking @shoesnbags .  

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

They are around, just not everywhere like the news likes to imply!  

Inland Florida is flooded and some spots are still under a foot of water and not in flood areas ....on the news?  No! 

Alligators get more attention!

From NPR news:

About 2,000 homes were flooded by the river a full day after the storm had passed, according to Desoto County.  There are 53.07 miles from Fort Myers Beach to Arcadia...in DeSoto County!
ota  

Esteemed Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

They are around, just not everywhere like the news likes to imply!  

Inland Florida is flooded and some spots are still under a foot of water and not in flood areas ....on the news?  No! 

Alligators get more attention!

From NPR news:

About 2,000 homes were flooded by the river a full day after the storm had passed, according to Desoto County.  There are 53.07 miles from Fort Myers Beach to Arcadia...in DeSoto County!
ota  

@Zhills just the thought of it....  

Even when there is no bad weather there are gators up on people's lawns and in places sometimes you wouldn't expect them to be, I have no concern that what the news people say has some truth to it.  

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

Some!  Yes.