Respected Contributor

Re: Heartbroken by All the Devastation in Parts of Florida Hit Hard by Ian

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@tiny 2   I only saw the storm coverage and aftermath on TV and it scared the stuffing out of me.

I love the beach and the water but nope not for me now.  i've seen beautiful mountain homes surrounded by acres and acres of trees.  Now I  see one lightning strike and fire.

eta @CrazyKittyLvr2 

Both of my brothers have beach homes and I have a mountain home with acres of trees, bears and other wonderful wildlife. More than fire I am most afraid of ICE storms. Woman Surprised Fortunately there is usually enough wind up high to strip it off of the trees. Those trees are use to heavy winds, but here in central NC they come down sometimes with a gust.

Honored Contributor

Of course we must help fellow Americans in need. That's what taxes are for: protection and welfare of our citizens.

At the same time, states need to zone more responsibly and deny building permits on land that regularly gets wiped out. Or at the very least they need to write realistic storm- and flood- worthy building codes.

If the states refuse to do it, insurance companies should pressure them to reform. Refuse to insure the properties. And those properties should not be repaired if destroyed while uninsured.

You have to be realistic about the risks where you live. Hurricanes and storms are predicted to get more frequent and severe into the foreseeable future. Ignoring that fact will just needlessly waste lives and money. Only greedy developers, and the people they lobby and pay off, are motivated to ignore everyone's safety.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@BarbieDollToo wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:.

@Foxxee Oh wow.  Not sure how to even respond to that.  People choose to live in a place where they can enjoy and thrive.  That includes the weather, the economy, the activities,the political climate, the proximity to attractions and friends and family, as well as many other things.

@Puppy Lips 

Hurricanes DO NOT hit the southeast every year, and they are not all devastating.  By your standards, no one should live anywhere along the Gulf coast (in Texas, Lousiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida) or the East Coast from Miami up to Maine, as hurricanes can strike there as well. 

True, except hitting the northeastern coast is much less frequent.  Those states do suffer from an occasional hurricane and much less serious remnants of southern hurricanes.

People have homeowners insurance, and should have flood insurance if they are prone. 

Should??? Not everyone can pay for expensive flood insurance and who pays for the increased premiums after such disasters.  

Disasters are what insurance is for.  And people helping those in need is what we are all about. 

I keep hearing that comment from a politician I interpret as trying to make the public feel guilty.  It's what you are all about, not me.  Yes, for helping those who suffer from issues no fault of their own is what I am all about.  

Are the rescuers complainng that they have to go help? 

We have no idea what rescuers are really thinking.  Could be "Here we go again!"

I don't think so.  As far as the tax payers footing the bill - yes - because that is what we do to help each other. 

HA!  Being forced to pay for it.  Again, you say "not what we do to help each other."  Who are the "WE."  Speak for yourself.  I don't like to be forced to pay for anything.  Try not paying your taxes to see what happens.

There are FAR WORSE things this country is wasting the tax payers money on.

I don't know about that.  It's right up there.  If no one lived in those areas, the government wouldn't need to spend a dime on hurricanes and floods. 

Intentionally living in an area that is rarely threatened by disasters is for me, but not for thee.   

Ok, we get it.  You don't feel anyone should live on the peninsula and if they do they should fend for themselves.  

They were told to evacuate and I agree they should have.  Some were just stubborn and didn't want to leave their home and their belongings.  Some may have had no where to go, either because of no money or no family or friends that would have taken them in.  

As far as our tax dollars helping them out, I rather have my money help a Floridian than outsourcing our taxes elsewhere.  Hopefully you never need help.

@BarbieDollToo 

Only a few nasty responses from those who don't believe others should have an opinion.  I see that as a good day.  

I have no problem helping those who fall on hard times that aren't caused by their own lack of common sense and logic.  There are plenty of them.  

Esteemed Contributor

Florida major hurricanes.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@tiny 2   I'm not afraid of much but fire, yes.  I've watched the videos of folks driving with fire on both sides of the road.  I would have a heart attack before the fire got me.

Respected Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

Florida major hurricanes.jpg

This does not even count all the tropical storms that do not quite make hurricane force but still cause lots of damage, flooding etc.

Honored Contributor

I've only lived along the coast for the past 40 some years.

Our winter home was in Coastal N. Carolina and our summer home was either in Lewes (Beach), Dewey Beach or Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.

Now our primary is in Cape May County, New Jersey.  

Wouldn't want to live anywhere away from the ocean.

Our house is built on pilings and sits about 9 feet above the street which is at about 7 feet above mean sea level.  We went a little higher than necessary (about 1 or 2 feet).

Although not required, we have Flood Insurance through FEMA.

I have no problem evacuating, but have never had to in all my years along the Atlantic.  We never sustained any damage from any kind of storm.

I get that people don't want to live near the ocean, bay or river that could crest or in an area known for tornados or drought related fires.

It's a risk, for sure.  There are so many beautiful days, even windy, rainy days at the beach, that are so enjoyable.  It's worth it.

I get that people don't understand the allure along with a risk.  But, hey, I don't get why people smoke.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

For me, no question, all people deserve to be helped in a disaster.  I've always wanted to live in Panama City Beach with the beautiful white sands.  I guess I never will, but if I had the finances, I still would.  I would also evacuate or move to a shelter if needed.  But I understand not everyone can.  And I won't ever deny those who didn't or can't the need to be helped.

Outside of a natural disaster, whether it be flood, hurricane, nor'easter, tornado, wildfire, mud slide, earthquake, yes even volcano, we are humans living together.  Please be kind.

I would rather live in a nature prone diaster area than in a crime ridden area. It doesn't always take a weather related event to be an undesirable area to live.

Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

@BarbieDollToo wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:.

@Foxxee Oh wow.  Not sure how to even respond to that.  People choose to live in a place where they can enjoy and thrive.  That includes the weather, the economy, the activities,the political climate, the proximity to attractions and friends and family, as well as many other things.

@Puppy Lips 

Hurricanes DO NOT hit the southeast every year, and they are not all devastating.  By your standards, no one should live anywhere along the Gulf coast (in Texas, Lousiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida) or the East Coast from Miami up to Maine, as hurricanes can strike there as well. 

True, except hitting the northeastern coast is much less frequent.  Those states do suffer from an occasional hurricane and much less serious remnants of southern hurricanes.

People have homeowners insurance, and should have flood insurance if they are prone. 

Should??? Not everyone can pay for expensive flood insurance and who pays for the increased premiums after such disasters.  

Disasters are what insurance is for.  And people helping those in need is what we are all about. 

I keep hearing that comment from a politician I interpret as trying to make the public feel guilty.  It's what you are all about, not me.  Yes, for helping those who suffer from issues no fault of their own is what I am all about.  

Are the rescuers complainng that they have to go help? 

We have no idea what rescuers are really thinking.  Could be "Here we go again!"

I don't think so.  As far as the tax payers footing the bill - yes - because that is what we do to help each other. 

HA!  Being forced to pay for it.  Again, you say "not what we do to help each other."  Who are the "WE."  Speak for yourself.  I don't like to be forced to pay for anything.  Try not paying your taxes to see what happens.

There are FAR WORSE things this country is wasting the tax payers money on.

I don't know about that.  It's right up there.  If no one lived in those areas, the government wouldn't need to spend a dime on hurricanes and floods. 

Intentionally living in an area that is rarely threatened by disasters is for me, but not for thee.   

Ok, we get it.  You don't feel anyone should live on the peninsula and if they do they should fend for themselves.  

They were told to evacuate and I agree they should have.  Some were just stubborn and didn't want to leave their home and their belongings.  Some may have had no where to go, either because of no money or no family or friends that would have taken them in.  

As far as our tax dollars helping them out, I rather have my money help a Floridian than outsourcing our taxes elsewhere.  Hopefully you never need help.

@BarbieDollToo 

Only a few nasty responses from those who don't believe others should have an opinion.  I see that as a good day.  

I have no problem helping those who fall on hard times that aren't caused by their own lack of common sense and logic.  There are plenty of them.  

@Foxxee To follow your logic of people not using their common sense and logic - I guess those who smoke, over eat, and abuse harmful drugs do not deserve to have health insurance.  Because you have to know that YOUR insurance rates are higher because they have to cover people that do those things as well.

All our tax dollars cover a full spectrum of things that we did not vote on or agree with.  If you don't realize that, then, there is no more to say on the subject.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

@new nickname 4 wrote:

For me, no question, all people deserve to be helped in a disaster.  I've always wanted to live in Panama City Beach with the beautiful white sands.  I guess I never will, but if I had the finances, I still would.  I would also evacuate or move to a shelter if needed.  But I understand not everyone can.  And I won't ever deny those who didn't or can't the need to be helped.

Outside of a natural disaster, whether it be flood, hurricane, nor'easter, tornado, wildfire, mud slide, earthquake, yes even volcano, we are humans living together.  Please be kind.

I would rather live in a nature prone diaster area than in a crime ridden area. It doesn't always take a weather related event to be an undesirable area to live.

@new nickname 4 That is so true.  I would rather live on the coast than in a concrete city that is riddled with crime.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead