Trusted Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Heart Warming story of Dog rescue at sea

I'm so glad to hear that the sailors were able to rescue the puppy. It's a shame that the people running the ferry were so heartless.  Glad it had a happy ending for the dog and his owner.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

So wonderful to see something happy!

I saw the video, poor baby, he was exhausted and cold.  Didn't look as if he could have kept on swimming much longer.

Blessings to 'Noodles' and the sailors who rescued him.  May his owner have learned to put a halter on him next time they cross on the ferry!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Blessings to the puppy and the people that saved him.  To the owner ... SHAME ON YOU!  He was a baby that had no idea what to do or be yet.  YOU should have had him secure and safe through the entire trip.  I would not have given him back.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

@Preds wrote:

Blessings to the puppy and the people that saved him.  To the owner ... SHAME ON YOU!  He was a baby that had no idea what to do or be yet.  YOU should have had him secure and safe through the entire trip.  I would not have given him back.

He shouldn't even have a dog.

Respected Contributor

I just saw this on TV. Miracles do happen don't they?

Respected Contributor

That owner really cared about this puppy.  He was overjoyed to get that call.  Accidents do happen.  Those sailors went out of their way to save this puppy.  He was lucky they came along.  We hear of so much abuse and neglect so it is nice to see a happy ending.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for sharing this heart warming story. Poor Noodle. That's just horrible that the crew would not turn back to save him. I'm so glad that those yacht club members found him and saved him. When Noodle saw that boat, he swam towards it at light speed. 

I wasn't able to watch the video on the link you gave, but I did find a few on YouTube: 

___

Browsers save a Labrador puppy lost in the Bay of Naples ...

___

Puppy rescued after falling from ferry off Italian coast ...

___

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Saw the video and was happy for the puppy. My question is to those that take the ferry. How does a puppy, whom I assume was with their owner, end up in the water?  None of the puppies we have fostered have gotten loose from my wife or myself.

How I feel about the ending of this story depends on the answer to my question. 

Thank you to those familiar with the use of a ferry for that answer.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynutjohn wrote:

Saw the video and was happy for the puppy. My question is to those that take the ferry. How does a puppy, whom I assume was with their owner, end up in the water?  None of the puppies we have fostered have gotten loose from my wife or myself.

How I feel about the ending of this story depends on the answer to my question. 

Thank you to those familiar with the use of a ferry for that answer.

hckynut(john)

@hckynutjohn  Saw this story hand had questions myself.  

@I understand that Noodles is @ 2 months old, and owner had just gone over on the ferry to pick him up, I guess from his Mom. That's a regular means of travel in that beautiful area of the world. They were going home and the pup, who was wearing a conventional collar, slipped out of it and into the water. Yes, a more cautious owner would have had him in a harness, and not near the edge.

But, we've all made stupid mistakes and momentary lapses.  I was once taking a young pup of similar age to visit a lake.  I cracked open the car door to buckle on his harness, had my hand on him, holding him, and he bolted past me, pushing open the door and dashing over a ten foot wall into the huge lake.  He had never seen water before to the best of my knowledge.

I was petrified, devastated, mortified at my stupidity, you name it.  Thank goodness he grew up to know the dock, boat, lake, well and lived to be 12 years old.  He was my soul mate and we adored each other.  Never would I have had such a thing happen, never HAD such a thing happened.  We both learned better, much better. I'm a good, careful, well prepared, loving animal person, but I blinked and we both could paid an awful price. 

True story:  I saw a person with a dog of similar age and size allowing his dog to lean over the edge and look down into the water at Niagra Falls.  Literally, head under the rail, hanging over the edge. The pup was wearing a regular leather collar and could have slipped out in a nanosecond.  My heart almost stopped, and when I raced over to warn his person, he looked at my like I was in idiot.

So, yea, there those of us who have a moment of carelessness, and there are idiots.  I'm going to believe this person was in the first group!

PS - Hope your wife is home and doing well!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras