Honored Contributor

Re: Healthy Snack Suggestions Needed -- Pleassssse!!!!

On 1/3/2015 winamac1 said:
On 1/3/2015 NoelSeven said:

I should add that the best thing to fill you up and keep you going is fiber. I usually maintain a high fiber diet all the time, and I include an afternoon snack.

I don't mind routine, so my snack is usually:

A Fiber One cookie or brownie (90 calories) and,

Half an apple sliced thin.

Right now, my favorite apple are the Ambrosias.

I think it's protein! Fiber is good. Protein keeps one full longer.

High fiber and protein are both on the top ten list of what to eat to keep you full, however, high fiber gets the most high marks, so to speak.

From the excellent site, WebMD:

<h3>High-Water, High-Fiber Foods Help Curb Hunger</h3>

Foods high in water and fiber, like fruits and vegetables, are the so-called high-volume foods. They add bulk to your meals and help fill your stomach.

Researcher Barbara Rolls, PhD, and her colleagues at Pennsylvania State University have done extensive research on the "volumetric" theory of eating more low-calorie, high-volume foods.

"We have found in numerous studies that when you allow people to eat as much as they want of foods that are high in volume yet low in density (calories), they eat less at the meal or during the day," says Rolls.

From what I know of protein, it lasts longer in your blood stream. I have low blood sugar. When it hits, I can take something for a quick fix, like a piece of candy, but I have to follow it up asap (within about half an hour) with protein.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Valued Contributor

I, too, had quite a month long sugar binge----I'm so over that!! I love your ideas---I love raw almonds. ( don't know how fattening they are, but I don't eat a bowl full just a few). I love those Weight Watchers Giant Fudge Bars and hummus with plain pita chips. Thanks for sharing your good ideas. ! Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

Awesome! This is starting to give me courage! Today is my day to start trying to get back on track. This past weekend I had a couple more binges (ashamed to say) and I need to get with it! I do not fool good when I eat so much junk, but once you get into dangerous waters, it's really difficult to swim to peaceful streams!! Smile

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Regular Contributor

Angelpuppy...i bought a nutribullet from amazon for 71.99...the basic one. I, too, wasnt crazy about many veggies but i needed to eat more so now i can"hide" them when mixed with some of the fruits in my nutribullet. I also add protein powder when i have a gym workout, maca powder, hemp seeds, flax of chia seeds, dry peanut butter...the list is endless. Stay away from refind foods like pretzels, non gmo popcorn, non gmo edamame, processed cheeses and meats. This is the essence of eating clean. Since doing this for about 3 weeks i have become turned off by unhealthy desserts...all i have to do is look at the overweight folks at the gym and the connection makes an impact. I also do quite a bit of good fats like organic coconut, avocados, nuts and keep all ingredients organic.
Honored Contributor

On 1/5/2015 sylviahomeatlast said: I, too, had quite a month long sugar binge----I'm so over that!! I love your ideas---I love raw almonds. ( don't know how fattening they are, but I don't eat a bowl full just a few). I love those Weight Watchers Giant Fudge Bars and hummus with plain pita chips. Thanks for sharing your good ideas. ! Smiley Happy

Me, too.

They're healthy & super-nutritious: high in "good" (unsaturated) fats, magnesium, & protein.

Smile

Trusted Contributor

Chickpeas, edamame, also thin sliced turkey.
Honored Contributor

Thanks so much!

I did a positive thing yesterday. I bought a bunch of veggies. I got celery, so I can have some with a dab of peanut butter. I got broccoli and cauliflower to chop up in little bags and eat with a bit of dressing. I got baby carrots. Then, I purchased some rice cakes --plain, and flavored ones. I also bought a lot of fruit, apples, kiwi, strawberries, and other berries. I am making a start!!!

I figure every little bit of "junk" that I replace with something healthy is a step in the right direction.

I appreciate everyone's posts and tips!!!

Honored Contributor

On 1/6/2015 AngelPuppy1 said:

Thanks so much!

I did a positive thing yesterday. I bought a bunch of veggies. I got celery, so I can have some with a dab of peanut butter. I got broccoli and cauliflower to chop up in little bags and eat with a bit of dressing. I got baby carrots. Then, I purchased some rice cakes --plain, and flavored ones. I also bought a lot of fruit, apples, kiwi, strawberries, and other berries. I am making a start!!!

I figure every little bit of "junk" that I replace with something healthy is a step in the right direction.

I appreciate everyone's posts and tips!!!

Hooray! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Honored Contributor

Thank you! This cold weather makes me want to eat --- even more! Plus, it makes me want comfort feeds. I am trying though and have good thoughts!!!

Trusted Contributor

I like hummus with carrots, and other veggies. My favorite is hummus with Fuji apples. I also buy the English cucumbers...seedless and no wax on the skin....and slice them and dip them in low fat dressing.
"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"