Honored Contributor

Re: Healthcare Scam Robocalls

My supplemental group insurance changed to United Health Care on January first, and the have been about to drive me crazy with phone calls to set up accounts, offer services I don't want, do surveys, etc.  I don't even answer the phone when they call anymore.  They are pests!  Just pay my medical bills and leave me alone. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

My pension provider moved me to United Medicare Advantage in Jan. also...they are constantly trying to come to my home to look around and see how many rugs I have and other “fall hazards”....just because I am on Medicare does not mean I am not aware of all of that....I even have stairs! I feel very violated having someone come inside my home and do stuff unless I want them there...but guess that makes me weird. I also don’t like the phone calls nonstop and the higher deductibles that came with my new policy. Haven’t found the “ advantage” yet. I want to go out on my own with another company but it’s been implied that might “effect” my pension benefits.
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 @DrKelli  can't you just block them or do they change numbers?

I had to block CVS pharmacy from the incessant reminder calls that a refillable prescription was running out and it was something that we didn't need to refill, the doctor just checked that box.
I also had to get in touch with the insurance company to tell them stop, we didn't need their tips and hints on how and when to remember to use it.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter    Sadly, my old phone doesn't do blocking. 

Respected Contributor

We get "this is Christy from medicare" a half dozen times EVERY day.  Each time it shows a different number.  Between that and "$299 will be charged to your checking account or plastic card for your subscription renewal tomorrow unless you call ######"  They never tell what renewal they are referring to.

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
My pension provider moved me to United Medicare Advantage in Jan. also...they are constantly trying to come to my home to look around and see how many rugs I have and other “fall hazards”....just because I am on Medicare does not mean I am not aware of all of that....I even have stairs! I feel very violated having someone come inside my home and do stuff unless I want them there...but guess that makes me weird. I also don’t like the phone calls nonstop and the higher deductibles that came with my new policy. Haven’t found the “ advantage” yet. I want to go out on my own with another company but it’s been implied that might “effect” my pension benefits.

@lovesrecess    My philosophy: the more fall hazards you have, the more careful you are.  UHC will never darken my door to check anything.  I agree with you. 

Honored Contributor

@lulu1    The more you answer these calls, the more you'll get.  In answering, you let them know they've reached a live, active number with somebody who'll listen, if only briefly.   Then they sell your number to another solicitator. 

If I don't recognize the number, I never answer my phone.  After several years of this, I rarely get any solicitations anymore, maybe once or twice a month. I don't use my answering machine either.  If the call is important, they'll call back. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would put my life on the line that it was a legit call.  From working for  a large health insurance company, I know that customer service does not have privy to information that nurses do.  They do not keep information on the same system.

That would violate HIPAA laws.

Your CS rep is full of BS.  She gave you incorrect info just to get you off of the line.  Many CS reps do that  if they don't know the answer.  She should have connected you to the nurses line.

If the robo call was about your sister, why would they call you unless it was legit.  What did the call say?

Robo callers just dial random numbers, they do not have people's names.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 

We try not to answer any number we do not recognize.  Messages are left. On the rare occasion that we do answer, we never say a word until we hear a legit voice on the other end.

What really drives me nuts, these robocalls can "seemingly" come from a legit number you yourself have called.

Honored Contributor

@lulu1    You don't have to say anything.  Just picking up the phone only encourages them.