Super Contributor

Re: Health Issue - Stuffy nose & runny nose at the same time -- can't sleep -- what to do? Please offer suggestions!

On 3/27/2015 AngelPuppy1 said:

Thank you for the suggestion of a plunger!!! LOL!!! That is next! I have tried almost everything else!!!

Thanks everyone!

What does the saline nasal spray do exactly and do you use it always or just when you have issues, i.e., the need for a plunger? {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

The pharmacist recommended that I use Claritin D for the stuffy nose/runny nose, and it has helped a good bit.

Now, if I could just get this coughing under control!!!

Try mucinex for your cough. Just get plain mucinex. There are many formulas, but if you are already on Claritin D, you don't need one to help with the issues that takes care of. Feel better!

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Honored Contributor

Re: Health Issue - Stuffy nose & runny nose at the same time -- can't sleep -- what to do? Please offer suggestions!

On 3/26/2015 AngelPuppy1 said:

I thank you for your concern and replies! It's so nice to commiserate with others. Some how when you do this, you don't feel quite as terrible!!!

Oh, my --- 3 weeks??? Oh, boy, I hope it doesn't take that long. I am exhausted right now.

Every time I start to think I am getting better, then I get worse and/or get another symptom.

I was coughing a little at the start but not real badly. Now, last night, I started getting these horrible coughing fits. You know the kind where you start coughing, can't stop, can't catch your breath and tears run down your face? I did this most of last night. So, this morning, of course, I am exhausted.

I am going to the drug store again before work and I'm going to ask the pharmacist if he has any recommendations, too.

I just never realized that you could get a stuffy nose and runny nose at the same time. Unbelievable!

I hope you all feel better --- really soon! I know --- oh, how well I know --- how miserable you feel!!!

The stuffy nose might not be congestion .... it might be that the inner nose skin is swollen and blocking air.

Dextromethorphan (sp?) is a cough suppressant, so look for that.

If you have a runny nose, there are various ingredients to control it, but if your inside nasal passages are swollen, you'll need a couple squirts of nasal spray to shrink them.

Hope this helps. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Honored Contributor

Thank you! Very good information. I believe you are probably right about the swollen nasal passages. Probably TMI, but I had to blow my nose so much and I think it is greatly irritated from everything. This has been the worst feeling! I not only had the congestion in my throat and chest, but then when my nose started plugging up --- very scary!!! I was really having a hard time breathing. Thanks goodness it has let up some.

Its good to share this information as the doctors/medical personell, etc. do not tell you much of anything. What is normal, what is not, etc.

Thanks again --- very, very much!!!!!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

The saline helps with healing. It is safe to use every day.

Honored Contributor

Did you ever gargle with salt water when your throat was sore? Same with the saline.

Honored Contributor

My goodness......if I were you, I would go to a doctor. Sounds like you have an infection. And if none of the stuff you have taken hasn't helped, am sure the doctor can prescribe something for you. It is has been going on for too long now, and here it is Friday. Why not go to an urgent care and get taken care of. If you have medicare and a supplemental, that should take care of.......

Honored Contributor

Since you have been trying so many over the counter stuff, it might be you are taking the wrong stuff......you could be harming your self rather than helping. The more I think about this, I think you need a doctor. Everyone on here is suggesting you take this, do that, etc. You can over do and it could harm you...... THAT IS WHAT DOCTORS ARE OUT THERE FOR.

Contributor

Once you've seen the doctor, get a box of Breathe Right Strips. They are wonderful and help you get the sleep you need.

Super Contributor

On 3/27/2015 ShowMe said:

Since you have been trying so many over the counter stuff, it might be you are taking the wrong stuff......you could be harming your self rather than helping. The more I think about this, I think you need a doctor. Everyone on here is suggesting you take this, do that, etc. You can over do and it could harm you...... THAT IS WHAT DOCTORS ARE OUT THERE FOR.

^^^^^^Amen!

Honored Contributor

Thanks, everyone! I went to a medical clinic. My regular doctors take too long to see you. You could be dead by the time they work you in. Kind of exaggerated but you know what I mean. When you want to see someone, you want to see them now, not 2 weeks from now. I am on antibiotics and spoke to my pharmacist. I am doing much better. But everyone I talk to who has this says it really hangs on and even after you feel a lot better, the cough really lingers. Good luck to anyone who gets this!!! I thank you all for being supportive.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin