Esteemed Contributor

Heads up tis the season to be robbed!

I guess its the season to be robbed. I went on my bank account his AM and saw I was robbed of 89 dollars via my ATM debit credit card from purchase in Minnesota! Live in PA, never went to Minnesota and I only use my ATM card to get cash out, and on occasion at 2 stores locally. I have not used an ATM debit.visa card to shop online for a year. Heres the kicker, its dated Nov 13th (the transaction) and its not Nov 13th yet, and my bank paid them and its been deducted. I immediately froze my card via the bank site b.c its the weekend no one answers phones. Will call bank first thing Monday morning but my card is froze by me. My HOPE is that its a mistake due to Nov 13th date but I doubt it.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Valued Contributor

Re: Heads up tis the season to be robbed!

Sorry about what happened.  Don't forget that Monday is Veterans Day and the banks are closed so their next business day is the 13th.   You were wise to freeze it but not sure if you'll be able to make contact on Monday . 

I've made it a habit to check my accounts a few times a week and have signed up for fraud alerts on credit cards.  Have been notified via text a few times about activity they thought was suspicious. 

best of luck.  I'm sure the bank will reverse the transaction. 

Helen852
Honored Contributor

I can't imagine a bank that issues credit cards not having an emergency number to call.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Please don’t worry!  My DH and I have debit/credit cards through a credit union, each with separate numbers.  A few days ago we got a call from the credit union that my DH’s credit card was used in California to purchase some $60 item and then another small purchase.  After verifying this was a theft, they froze his account.  He did go in person to fill out some paperwork and was told his new card would be available the following day.  And it was.  Not even a mention of fraudulent purchases made.  The person he dealt with told him to be very careful of gas stations.  Funny,  because the week before he was low on gas and stopped at a station in a bad section of a neighboring city.  Who knows?  But all I can tell you is don’t worry that you will be responsible for fraudulent charges.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Shorty2U, good to see you, haven't seen you for awhile.  I have had charges made against my account and never had a problem having the money reimbursed.  I didn't even have to go into the bank, did it all by phone.  Unfortunately Monday the banks are closed but Tuesday I  am sure you will be either going to or calling the bank and it will all be straightened out then.  Good luck, don't worry, it will all come out in the wash.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

This happened to me several years ago. The bank called me and asked if I had been in California the day before. My debit card # was used twice that day to order groceries from a store in California. All I had to do was to go to my bank and sign a form. they immediately cancelled my debit card and issued a new one with a new #. My AmEx card # was used to order a ton of stuff online. AmEX took off all of the charges ASAP. To put your mind at ease call the # on the back of your card or look up the customer service # for fraud alert. They usually have 24 hour service. You don't have to wait until Tuesday. 

Honored Contributor

As I reported earlier my credit card got hacked. Waiting on replacement card. 2nd time in 20 yrs. Thing never leaves my wallet and when shopping I make hubbo watch the cart and my purse. They must get the # thru

telekinesis or some kind of Stephen King powers

Honored Contributor

The 13th is the next business date so that doesn’t surprise me. But any bank should have an 800 # for customer service even on weekends/holidays.

Honored Contributor

@Shorty2U

Always wise to check one's credit/debit card charges on a pretty regular basis. Our bank notifies us of any charge that looks like something not in the confines of our purchasing habits, especially if a transaction from an ATM, took place out of City/State. We like that being done.

I would hope your bank rectifies this for you.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

That happened to me one time.  The purchase was made at an outlet store that I have been to in the past, but not for months.

I caught it right away early in the morning for a purchase made the day before.  I immediately called my bank.  They suggested that I call the merchant, which I did.

The merchant said they would check into it and call me back....they did.

What was explained to me was every night, the credit and debit cards transactions for the day are processed.  Unfortunally, someone processed the correct month and day, but used the wrong year.  Everyone who used a CC or debit card on that day in that store a year ago was affected.

It took about theee days, but my money was returned.  The store said they were greatful and that I saved them a lot of problems by catching this right away.  I did them a big service.  That's all the thanks I got.  I was hoping for a gift card....it was a kitchen store, my favorite.

My DH had several charges of $8.95 made on his card.  When he checked with the bank, he learned that they were for online gaming.  He was sent paperwork, filled it out and returned it.  His money was credited back to him.  His account was closed and he got a new card.  My DH never uses his debit card for purchases.  He only uses it to withdraw cash at his bank.

This seems to be pretty common, thief's are everywhere.  Check your accounts often and your bank statements timely.  You only have so many days to report it and get your money back.