Honored Contributor

Not sure if this post will stay since it involves another online vendor, but I see it as at least a try. Just received a Robo Call saying they were from Amazon and since I am a prime member they were going to be charging my card on file for $299 for my membership. Wasn't buying it so I called Amazon Rep about it.

As I suspected Amazon DOES NOT call their customers, and that IS NOT their charge to be a prime member. QVC Monitors: I am sorry if this is against Community Standards, but I wanted to make others aware of this, which to me, is a SCAM.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut I just heard about this scam on the radio this week! BTW it's fine to mention outside vendors, we just can't post a link to one!

Respected Contributor

Thank you for the heads up. We get daily calls now about some issue or other we supposedly have from the IRS, credit cards, Medicare, Social Security etc. Even some from our own phone number  We don't even answer the phone anymore. 

Honored Contributor

Hi, Johm.  I, too, think what you wrote is perfectly legal.  It's not trying to steer anyone elsewhere  to something QVC sells.

It's good when a scam is so obvious, isn't it?   Thanks for posting.

Honored Contributor

Hi John!   I think it is a good thing to have posted and I don't think they will delete it.   There will be people who believe the caller and give out personal info and, seeing this, might change that for some who are vulnerable.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I got one earlier today left on my machine that was for my daughter. Her name was mentioned as the one in trouble over some insufficient funds problem and giving her 48 hours to respond to before fees would be attached and something else. Gave a number to call.  Only problem, she got married and left this house 26 years ago. I googled the number she was to call which was different than the one showing on the caller ID. The caller ID one looked local but not the one she was supposed to call. Anyway I googled the number it said to call. Scam.

Respected Contributor

How is this a scam?  Did they ask for money or your credit card info?  I have Amazon Prime and they automatically charge my card every year for whatever the going annual rate is, although they have never called me to let me know they were going to do it. 

Honored Contributor

@Suzeecat wrote:

How is this a scam?  Did they ask for money or your credit card info?  I have Amazon Prime and they automatically charge my card every year for whatever the going annual rate is, although they have never called me to let me know they were going to do it. 

@Suzeecat 

Your reply is exactly why I posted this. Like you, Amazon automatically charges  my card every year. BUTT!  I am old, but not easily "fished in", but many do get taken advantage of by such calls, thus my decision to start this thread.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

i got a call from one last week . they asked for me. i said and what can i do for you blank scammer.  they didnt say a word and just hung up.

Respected Contributor

Wait just one minute!.  

The caller said they were charging $299.00 for an Amazon membership!?  That cannot be the cost of a menbership, is it?