Honored Contributor

Re: Heads Up. Meat shortage coming.

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

@Spurt wrote

Marc Perrone, the union president, said 13 plants in Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Pennsylvania, South Dakota and Wisconsin and Alberta, Canada, have been closed at least temporarily because of the pandemic. Those union plants represent about 10 percent of beef production and 25 percent of pork production, the union said..................

This information seems to support the aforementioned post re: meat shortages likely.

@Drythe 

But did you notice the word TEMPORARY....and did you notice the later article that I posted and all the meat in storage that the restaurants cant buy, and other plants making up for the those that are closed.........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

These types of posts is what starts hoarding and scalping.

People over react and we'll be in the same shape as we were with

toliet paper, flour, yeast.

I was in the stores today and happy to report toliet paper is in abundance. I just walked on by. I checked the flour shelves and

Gold Medal and a cheap house brand was back. I felt confident

that the shortage is turning around.

No need now to report you won't be able to get a piece of beef.

People that can afford will be stocking freezers with briskets, hamburger, steaks, beef roast, pork chops, etc.

We don't need a repeat of the paper goods horror. If that's what you

think, keep to yourself.  I've already seen where a package of minute steaks went from 5-7.00 to 12.00 !    I don't want to become a vegetarian, which probably would be a good thing, but, I'd miss my

cheeseburger.

@SharkE,  are you aware that all this attention to a potential meat shortages is due to this:

"The food supply chain is breaking," wrote board chairman John Tyson in a full-page advertisement published Sunday in The New York Times, Washington Post and Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

I just went to the store and there is plenty of everything. Don't listen to the media, they get it wrong like 110% of the time lol

Respected Contributor

@Ladybug724 wrote:

I just went to the store and there is plenty of everything. Don't listen to the media, they get it wrong like 110% of the time lol

This isn't the media @Ladybug724, they are only covering the story.  This is about a statement released by Tyson and farmers out there that are asking to get their story out to the public so they know what is going on with them.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Living in Florida, with long periods of no supplies after two or three bad hurricanes in the last 30 years, starting with Andrew, I know I can be OK on very simple canned and shelf stable foods, esp. since I don't have a generator and when we lose electricity (which we always do, sometimes for weeks) have no way of cooking except on a grill.  After hurricanes I break into my supply of cold-brewed coffee because I can't even heat water without electricity.

I am not a vegetarian anymore due to allergies I've developed to soy but I like vegetarian meals and won't miss meat.  I suppose there will be a shortage, but it won't last forever. 

If packing plants are made safer, that is better for all of us in the long run anyway.

Respected Contributor

@SharkE,  are you aware that all this attention to a potential meat shortages is due to this:

"The food supply chain is breaking," wrote board chairman John Tyson in a full-page advertisement published Sunday in The New York Times, Washington Post and Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.

I stocked up on meat which I ordered online from a meat distrubutor that normally sells to restaurants.  Cost me $350 but Im braced for the coming shortage. I should be good through Fall.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marp wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

These types of posts is what starts hoarding and scalping.

People over react and we'll be in the same shape as we were with

toliet paper, flour, yeast.

I was in the stores today and happy to report toliet paper is in abundance. I just walked on by. I checked the flour shelves and

Gold Medal and a cheap house brand was back. I felt confident

that the shortage is turning around.

No need now to report you won't be able to get a piece of beef.

People that can afford will be stocking freezers with briskets, hamburger, steaks, beef roast, pork chops, etc.

We don't need a repeat of the paper goods horror. If that's what you

think, keep to yourself.  I've already seen where a package of minute steaks went from 5-7.00 to 12.00 !    I don't want to become a vegetarian, which probably would be a good thing, but, I'd miss my

cheeseburger.

@Marp 

Interesting....gee just the "national enquirer" type papers too..... And the TIMING of the Tyson ad is MOST CURIOUS---The Tyson Foods advertisement came the same weekend The Washington Post published a report claiming the company — along with competitors JBS and Smithfield — was slow to implement proper social distancing measures and failed to supply protective gear until early April, potentially turning several plants across the country into infection hot spots.------HMMMMM

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

This has been predicted for quite some time now, I order my meat from an online butcher so I can escape the Grocery Store Hunger Games.

Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

This thread is just in time for QVC's Todays Special Value!

Item M68336 Rastelli's (24) 5.5-oz Wagyu Kobe Style Beef Smashed Burgers

Just four easy pays of $25.

@Porcelain 

I don’t want beef (or any other food) from Japan any more than I want beef from China.

@willdob3 - As I posted on the TSV forum, there is a very good chance this Wagyu beef is from the USA. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

We have two freezers and alwwys full.   Not just meat but other things as well.  My daughter and her family live down the street and we share and buy items on sale.  Our food pantry is full too.