Honored Contributor

Re: Heads Up. Meat shortage coming.

[ Edited ]

Personally, I prefer reliable facts shared right up front by a reliable source, not hushed up or displaced by Happy Talk.

Mine is a farm state, our planners have been purchasing and stocking from local farmers for weeks.

Will make plans as I see fit.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@willdob3    I don't know if this will be all meat.  Our local news station has been interviewing farmers and they are really nervous.  They can't get anyone to process their chickens and pigs and they are being offered lower prices.

Many farmers are worried about having to destroy their animals and going out of business. They have already started to "thin out the herd"

I could just be a local problem...or not. I don't know.  We should all be prepared anyway. This could end up being a long term problem.  A shortage of meat protein will cause the already shortage of beans and rice to only get worse.

@Carmie  It is definitely a concern. I’m going to see if there is any info locally. 

A all over meat shortage would be of concern to me. I do not eat beans or rice. 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@SharkE   If I heard inside information you can be sure that thousands of others have too.

The difference between meat and TP is that people need a freezer to store it.  You can't buy and hoard more than you have room for. It is extremely perishable.

I suggest you buy an extra pound of ground round for those cheeseburgers you are so fond of.  Fast food places and resturants will not be able to get any either.

I have two deep freezers.  Both are filled.  I only have room for a few pounds of chicken breasts. That is all I have room for.

GMA Tv show started this garbage. People watch this stuff and get a bee in their bonnet, I don't know how they can afford to spend hundreds of dollars on toliet paper or meat, but, I guess they go in debt to do it.

If that's your belief then keep filling those freezers you'll have your kit just pray you don't lose power or you'll be drowning in red meat.  We have enough to be leery of , please no more chicken littles ........

Super Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@willdob3    I don't know if this will be all meat.  Our local news station has been interviewing farmers and they are really nervous.  They can't get anyone to process their chickens and pigs and they are being offered lower prices.

Many farmers are worried about having to destroy their animals and going out of business. They have already started to "thin out the herd"

I could just be a local problem...or not. I don't know.  We should all be prepared anyway. This could end up being a long term problem.  A shortage of meat protein will cause the already shortage of beans and rice to only get worse.

Wow, the title of this click bait doesn't match the content.

I will concern myself with a potential anything shortage once appropriate officials in my area advise of such.  Why people get a rush out of fear mongering...sad.

Super Contributor

So happy ro hear that....now we won't be able to toilet paper OR meat.  What's next???

Bread lines.  The hoarders will be out in  full force.  This is ceasing to be laughable.  OPEN THE COUNTRY UP!  I doubt that the DRS. will go without.

Honored Contributor

A local reporter asked our governor today about this.  The Gov said we have six processing plants in our state, all of which are open and fine.  They are fully aware of the potential problems and have our state department of health in communication with them.  

Ours is also a big farming/ranching state and with the number of residents already unemployed, our government sure doesn't want any more out of work.  Whether they can keep the plants safe and operational, we'll see.

Honored Contributor

More joy. What's next, the plague of locusts or fireballs shooting out of the sky...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

More joy. What's next, the plague of locusts or fireballs shooting out of the sky...

@stevieb 

That huge asteroid is getting closer to Earth but they "think" it will bypass us and be far enough away....

The Arecibo Observatory got a good visual on the big space rock that's going to fly by Earth on April 29. 
Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

If only we had someone overseeing all this mess, making a National Plan. ☹️☹️☹️

I agree and have been saying so all along. It's fine to have the national medical mouth pieces theoretically coordinating management, such as it is, of the virus research, teatment and so on, but leaving supply chain issues up to the governors is so not working... Not working at all...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...