Esteemed Contributor

Re: Heads Up. Meat shortage coming.

@Porcelain wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

Oh BTW rumor has it that an executive order is being issued to avert the meat shortage situation....

STAY SAFE! Woman Very Happy

@Spurt, and it will contain the following: "would issue an executive order to shield meat plants from legal liability if they are sued by employees who contract coronavirus while on the job."

Not sure I like that at all, given the industry's dismal track record on safety so far.

But I'll not worry about the prematurely, as I'm used to such messages changing on a dime.

I don't think it would stand up very well. It would be challenged from all sides.

If anyone is banking on some sort of legal shield to save you from lawsuits because you put your workers or customers at risk--you're crazy. You will be sued regardless. They will find a way to do it, any loophole. Just be smart and decent and do everything you can to keep people safe (and document the heck out of it) and you will be okay, probably. There are no guarantees, just like there are no guarantees that you won't get sick.

And executive orders aren't permanent and executives aren't permanent. Hopefully you intend to keep your businesses open for the next 10 years and beyond. You don't want to get sued out of the blue later on, which will happen. Lawyers are gathering info (and video footage) even now.

Edited to add: how did I manage to mistype executive as exectutive twice? I even did it again as I typed this aside. Odd. I must have a snyapse loose somewhere. Exectutive.

@Porcelain,  it was not a standard executive order that was issued tonight, it was an order under the Defense Production Act and it applies to every meat processing plant in the U.S.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

Oh BTW rumor has it that an executive order is being issued to avert the meat shortage situation....

STAY SAFE! Woman Very Happy

@Spurt, and it will contain the following: "would issue an executive order to shield meat plants from legal liability if they are sued by employees who contract coronavirus while on the job."

Not sure I like that at all, given the industry's dismal track record on safety so far.

But I'll not worry about the prematurely, as I'm used to such messages changing on a dime.

I don't think it would stand up very well. It would be challenged from all sides.

If anyone is banking on some sort of legal shield to save you from lawsuits because you put your workers or customers at risk--you're crazy. You will be sued regardless. They will find a way to do it, any loophole. Just be smart and decent and do everything you can to keep people safe (and document the heck out of it) and you will be okay, probably. There are no guarantees, just like there are no guarantees that you won't get sick.

And executive orders aren't permanent and executives aren't permanent. Hopefully you intend to keep your businesses open for the next 10 years and beyond. You don't want to get sued out of the blue later on, which will happen. Lawyers are gathering info (and video footage) even now.

Edited to add: how did I manage to mistype executive as exectutive twice? I even did it again as I typed this aside. Odd. I must have a snyapse loose somewhere. Exectutive.

@Porcelain,  it was not a standard executive order that was issued tonight, it was an order under the Defense Production Act and it applies to every meat processing plant in the U.S.

@Marp 

Thanks for posting.

Heaven forbid the use of it to get PPE and respirators!

Even the union spoke against this latest.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Apparently, American carnivores won't be denied their meat!  It's very important!

Honored Contributor

They're still all going to get sued. You don't get to put pressure on people to put themselves in harms way and then deny responsibility for what you did. They may be trying to do that, but it won't work the way they think.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

My freezer is full--I read about this problem weeks ago------