Honored Contributor

Re: Heads Up. Meat shortage coming.

Actually the meat shortage started 2 weeks ago when truckers made their last pickups at the warehouses.   What meat is available is probably at distribution points by now.  If you’re not seeing the shortages in your area yet, you soon will.   

It will be a temporary inconvenience, but could be 2+ months to regain normal production levels.  

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

If I had a freezer, which I don't, I'd be looking for a half or quarter of a beef to buy.  I've already filled the limited space I have.

@Kachina624 

Ditto ... it won't help me now, but I am determined to get a medium sized  second freezer for stocking up when this is over.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

If only we had someone overseeing all this mess, making a National Plan. ☹️☹️☹️

I agree and have been saying so all along. It's fine to have the national medical mouth pieces theoretically coordinating management, such as it is, of the virus research, teatment and so on, but leaving supply chain issues up to the governors is so not working... Not working at all...

@stevieb 

Sadly STEVIEB....at the heart of this all this ---- it all seems to go back to GREED (just like price gouging).....These plants didnt think to buy protective equipment for their employees ?????.......  and now the price of meat is going up.....things that make you go HMMMMMMMMMMM.... thats why there's no national coordination its every business and every state for themselves..

@Spurt  And look how well it's working... 

@stevieb 

So if you thought your meat supply was limited before......but I predict and speculate on my own...SUDDENLY there will be PLENTY of TP and paper towels as people have other fires to put out.....Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

I heard that on the radio this morning. I had planned to go to Walmart anyway. So while I was there, I bought a bunch of meat.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:
I do not eat beans or rice. 

Aw, c'mon @willdob3, give those beans and rice a shot, eh?   =^..^=

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@willdob3    I don't know if this will be all meat.  Our local news station has been interviewing farmers and they are really nervous.  They can't get anyone to process their chickens and pigs and they are being offered lower prices.

Many farmers are worried about having to destroy their animals and going out of business. They have already started to "thin out the herd"

I could just be a local problem...or not. I don't know.  We should all be prepared anyway. This could end up being a long term problem.  A shortage of meat protein will cause the already shortage of beans and rice to only get worse.

So this is my "beef" pardon the pun....not all the facts are researched and presented before posting.......and then more doom and gloodm speculation about beans and rice are added without facts....

In my area, beans and rice are already hard to come by.  The shelves are empty.  I was at COSTCO this past weekend.  They did have both in stock, but only one purchase of each per customer.

That is a FACT.  I do my own shopping.  There is no delivery of groceries in my area. They  are booked up for weeks in advance.  I am not blind.  I know what is in short supply in my area and what is not.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pitdakota wrote:

@Drythe  Wanted to call your attention to a media piece in our local market about the University of Louisville located in Kentucky.  If you google University of Louisville on the front lines of battling COVID-19 you will see the story discussing their work with the coronavirus.

Have to say it is good to see some of that content in print.  One of the sentences from that piece   "Before any of us knew there was a pandemic coming, our infectious disease experts knew it was." 

Our infectious disease experts referred to in the article are those from the University and others that still maintain work with the group. Those are the same lines I referred to early on receiving emails, etc. wondering where in the heck our national response to contain the virus was.  Proof positive that we in fact did know and while I couldn't provide the emails I had without causing quite a bit of trouble.........oop, there it is.  In print.

So there it is.  If only those at the top would have listened instead of shunning science. 

The University is one of a few biocontainment centers in the country, so they had the coronavirus to research early on.  Straight from China.  They are in the process of studying a chemo drug that in lab animals stops the virus from replicating.  I think it was last week they applied to fast track their research since the preliminary studies are so promising.  

Hoping that they have some success with their research.

@pitdakota 

Thanks for the information.  Hope you are well.

🌟 Here’s hoping for the success of your last line! 🌟 

I believe in science & facts!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

Doing okay here @Drythe.  DH and I are still laying low, both adult kids are doing well and very cautious.  Have to say, we laugh about that being the impact of having a parent that is a nurse and one that also focused on public health.  lol  But at the same time, we are grateful for that too.  

Hope you are doing well too.  Guess you are still pretty busy.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote

Marc Perrone, the union president, said 13 plants in Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Pennsylvania, South Dakota and Wisconsin and Alberta, Canada, have been closed at least temporarily because of the pandemic. Those union plants represent about 10 percent of beef production and 25 percent of pork production, the union said..................

This information seems to support the aforementioned post re: meat shortages likely.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wish I could buy some more to have on hand, but right now we are actually going the other way and are trying to eat up all the meat and other items in our freezer - hurricane season is coming up (starts on June 1)! Woman Wink

I got caught one year with a full freezer and a bad hurricane season with long stretches of no power and I vowed that would never happen again LOL.