Honored Contributor

Re: Heads Up. Meat shortage coming.

@willdob3 wrote:

@Carmie  Is it all meat? Not all meat processing plants are having problems because of COVID-19. I’d think the others would be fine and doing more business than normal. 

It is a good time to look for local farms for those that can find affordable ones nearby. The price seems to vary a lot.

@willdob3 

Marc Perrone, the union president, said 13 plants in Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Pennsylvania, South Dakota and Wisconsin and Alberta, Canada, have been closed at least temporarily because of the pandemic. Those union plants represent about 10 percent of beef production and 25 percent of pork production, the union said..................

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Super Contributor

I'm happy for Darlingdino being able to stock up.  I'm sure it feels great.  Some of us cannot do that though......

Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

These types of posts is what starts hoarding and scalping.

People over react and we'll be in the same shape as we were with

toliet paper, flour, yeast.

I was in the stores today and happy to report toliet paper is in abundance. I just walked on by. I checked the flour shelves and

Gold Medal and a cheap house brand was back. I felt confident

that the shortage is turning around.

No need now to report you won't be able to get a piece of beef.

People that can afford will be stocking freezers with briskets, hamburger, steaks, beef roast, pork chops, etc.

We don't need a repeat of the paper goods horror. If that's what you

think, keep to yourself.  I've already seen where a package of minute steaks went from 5-7.00 to 12.00 !    I don't want to become a vegetarian, which probably would be a good thing, but, I'd miss my

cheeseburger.

Well it is in our paper, all over our local news, on the CNBC website, and other major news outlets.  They are all covering the story about the closing of so many of the meat processing plants and saying that major disruptions will impact the market for beef, pork, and poultry.

There are interviews will farmers that can't sell their livestock or chickens to processing plants and also small farmers that are looking at ways they might be able to assist.  

So that cat is already out of the bag so to speak.  And if the news media didn't cover it and we experience a real shortage, there would be heck to pay because they knew but didn't cover the story. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

Pee pool

@stevieb 

I feel gratitude for my Governor and all the others who stepped up to do the right thing.  No ducking and dodging for them.

@Drythe  No idea why you're tagging me... But if it has to do with my opinion that having 50 governors deciding supply chain issues isn't working, so be it... Fine with me for the governors to manage most aspects of their state's operations, but where the supply chain of foods and other essentials is concerned, this is a national emergency and needs coordination across all the states...

@Drythe is agreeing with you, @stevieb.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

@Carmie  Is it all meat? Not all meat processing plants are having problems because of COVID-19. I’d think the others would be fine and doing more business than normal. 

It is a good time to look for local farms for those that can find affordable ones nearby. The price seems to vary a lot.

@willdob3 

Marc Perrone, the union president, said 13 plants in Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Pennsylvania, South Dakota and Wisconsin and Alberta, Canada, have been closed at least temporarily because of the pandemic. Those union plants represent about 10 percent of beef production and 25 percent of pork production, the union said..................

@Spurt  That is a huge number of plants. What is really scary? amazing? is that they had such horrible sanitary conditions before all this happened and there wasn’t a (noticeable) health problem with the products because of it. Hopefully, going forward. the environment will be better for employees and customer products, too.

I’ve heard repeated reports of plant closings but nothing I recall about the cleanups and expected reopenings.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

If only we had someone overseeing all this mess, making a National Plan. ☹️☹️☹️

I agree and have been saying so all along. It's fine to have the national medical mouth pieces theoretically coordinating management, such as it is, of the virus research, teatment and so on, but leaving supply chain issues up to the governors is so not working... Not working at all...

@stevieb 

Sadly STEVIEB....at the heart of this all this ---- it all seems to go back to GREED (just like price gouging).....These plants didnt think to buy protective equipment for their employees ?????.......  and now the price of meat is going up.....things that make you go HMMMMMMMMMMM.... thats why there's no national coordination its every business and every state for themselves..

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@willdob3 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

@willdob3 

@Spurt  That is a huge number of plants. What is really scary? amazing? is that they had such horrible sanitary conditions before all this happened and there wasn’t a (noticeable) health problem with the products because of it. Hopefully, going forward. the environment will be better for employees and customer products, too.

@willdob3 

Its not a topic available here for discussion...but you see that little word "union"...why didnt they fight for the employees?????.... Its funny how the Instacart employees threatened to go on strilke unless they got protective gear ....and Instacart made it available and delivered it....so why didnt these organized workers do the same and demand protection?!?!?!?...Lots of questions but there's no real investigative reporting these days to get answers....no facts, just fear mongering and speculation

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tansy wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

Pee pool

@stevieb 

I feel gratitude for my Governor and all the others who stepped up to do the right thing.  No ducking and dodging for them.

@Drythe  No idea why you're tagging me... But if it has to do with my opinion that having 50 governors deciding supply chain issues isn't working, so be it... Fine with me for the governors to manage most aspects of their state's operations, but where the supply chain of foods and other essentials is concerned, this is a national emergency and needs coordination across all the states...

@Drythe is agreeing with you, @stevieb.  

@tansy  @Drythe  I thought so too, but now I'm not sure about that. Regardess, I didn't see where anything either of us had to say was fodder for ruffled feathers... To me, the whole conversation seemed like a non-sequitur... Or as though there was some unintended misunderstanding afoot... If that's on me, then I'm sorry...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@willdob3 

My meat dept guy said "meats and chicken major shortage" is coming.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

If only we had someone overseeing all this mess, making a National Plan. ☹️☹️☹️

I agree and have been saying so all along. It's fine to have the national medical mouth pieces theoretically coordinating management, such as it is, of the virus research, teatment and so on, but leaving supply chain issues up to the governors is so not working... Not working at all...

@stevieb 

Sadly STEVIEB....at the heart of this all this ---- it all seems to go back to GREED (just like price gouging).....These plants didnt think to buy protective equipment for their employees ?????.......  and now the price of meat is going up.....things that make you go HMMMMMMMMMMM.... thats why there's no national coordination its every business and every state for themselves..

@Spurt  And look how well it's working... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...