Honored Contributor

Re: Heads Up. Meat shortage coming.

@stevieb wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

Pee pool

@stevieb 

I feel gratitude for my Governor and all the others who stepped up to do the right thing.  No ducking and dodging for them.

@Drythe  No idea why you're tagging me... But if it has to do with my opinion that having 50 governors deciding supply chain issues isn't working, so be it... Fine with me for the governors to manage most aspects of their state's operations, but where the supply chain of foods and other essentials is concerned, this is a national emergency and needs coordination across all the states...

@stevieb 

Yes actually it was in response to your comment.

Seemed appropriate to your words.  No idea why it would evoke such response.

Will not happen again.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@suzyQ3   I do wish the mods would delete this tread.  I am shocked at the way some of the posters are acting.  I can handle it.  I am not a shy lass, but  now I know why some posters have left and will not come back.

I was trying to help.  I guess it's not appreciated.  Oh well.

@Carmie, Believe me, been there, done that.

My opinion is that your post was not inflammatory or breaking news. If people are going to buy out a market's stock of meat, it won't be because you posted about a likely shortage.

People take anything on social media and run with it....why pray tell all the shortages of TP, hand sanitizers, cleaning products, and paper towels....and even pet food....!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

I don't think the anger should be directed @Carmie , as this has already been on the news. 

I do think there needs to be some understanding amongst all posters though. 

You have one group that is struggling to keep food in the house and are lucky to find enough for a few days, a week, etc. 

Then you have the other group with their multi deep freezers and many weeks/months worth of food. 

I think it's pretty easy to understand how others are feeling. Some of us don't live in places where we can have much more than a small freezer on top of our fridge, and we don't have the options of stocking up, etc. 

It's easy to see how the lack of a constant food supply can lead to frankly fear......which is usual the basis of most anger, at least in my opinion. 

Some empathy all the way around wouldn't be such a bad thing now. 

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Caligurll wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

More joy. What's next, the plague of locusts or fireballs shooting out of the sky...

@stevieb 

That huge asteroid is getting closer to Earth but they "think" it will bypass us and be far enough away....

The Arecibo Observatory got a good visual on the big space rock that's going to fly by Earth next week on April 29. 

Now that's a sentence that doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.  Might be a good day to have an extra glass of wine.

@Caligurll 

(Now rest easy, enjoy that glass of wine anyway, BUT keep in mind this POSITIVE article about the asteroid .....although the original scientist studying the corona virus said it posed no threat to humankind...)

Don't be fooled by any hyped-up headlines you may have read: This week's asteroid flyby poses no threat to Earth or anything on it. The big asteroid 1998 OR2 will zoom within 3.9 million miles (6.3 million kilometers) of our planet early Wednesday morning (April 29). While that's a close shave in the context of the visible universe, which is more than 90 billion light-years wide, there's zero chance that the space rock will hit Earth on this pass, scientists stress.................

@Spurt  Thanks for that update!  And there will still be wine.

Contributor

Everyone will react differently to this covid thing, and each has their own right to make decisions they feel comfortable with. What I decided to do when this thing took off and is what made me feel comfortable. I went thru the whole house and made a master list, of each item we purchase, then I started buying the hot items that were selling out the fastest and decided to stock at least a years worth, then started buying the things we use everyday, cause we use more of those items, needing them everyday. I usually shop once a week, and always have plenty of stock in normal times. I know what meals we regullary cook and bought ingrediants for those meals, taking into consideration how many times I would cook those meals in a year. And yes, I have chest freezer, but I bought an extra chest freezer for the basement and got beef from a local farmer, 1/4 to start, then another 1/2 of a quarter. bought chicken and pork every week until I felt I had enought for a year. I have stocked canned and frozen vegs and every item you can think of into one of our spare bedrooms. Bought from every catogory on my list and then move onto another one. I am down to things that are not real neccesories, but were last on my lists and yes I have an generator in case we lose power. I did not have to use credit, just knowing what to buy every week and having a plan. All of the stuff I have bought are things we eat and if this whole thing blows over, nothing is loss, I wont have to shop for a while and will save that money. Most important items were bought first and well stocked for at least a year, I am still buying items everyweek, but I am buying things that I was not really worried at first, so I feel safe from shortages of neccessary things for at least a year, but really probably even longer. It made my grocery orders go up about two hundered more a week, but now they are about normal again cause I dont need as much. I do know we are now having problems with Co2 needed for beer and soda and sparkling water, so there will be shortages and price increases in these items next. None of the product I have bought will go to waste, I know how much we use and how often and planned well, if this thing turns out to be not so bad, I just wont have to shop for awhile, but if this causes more disruptions, especeally in the case of more waves, we will be prepared. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the warning, @Carmie.  I went today and ordered some more meat and I also went to the grocery store. The second time I have been inside a store since this started, but I want to be prepared. 

It seems like everyday, there is just more bad news as far as this virus goes. 

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

This thread is just in time for QVC's Todays Special Value!

Item M68336 Rastelli's (24) 5.5-oz Wagyu Kobe Style Beef Smashed Burgers

Just four easy pays of $25.

@Porcelain 

I don’t want beef (or any other food) from Japan any more than I want beef from China.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@stevieb 

I feel gratitude for my Governor and all the others who stepped up to do the right thing.  No ducking and dodging for them.

@Drythe  No idea why you're tagging me... But if it has to do with my opinion that having 50 governors deciding supply chain issues isn't working, so be it... Fine with me for the governors to manage most aspects of their state's operations, but where the supply chain of foods and other essentials is concerned, this is a national emergency and needs coordination across all the states...

@stevieb 

Yes actually it was in response to your comment.

Seemed appropriate to your words.  No idea why it would evoke such response.

Will not happen again.

@Drythe  No idea (again) on the 'such response'... To quote you, my comments seemed appropriate to your words... Great for those who feel their governors have done a good job... Still, my own view is we need a more coordinated, national approach to ensuring the essentials are making their way where they're needed...  I guess I just don't see anything particularly confrontational in that opinion... I also don't think having a national supply authority necessarily negates the governors having control over most state based functions... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Contributor

Another thing I forgot to mention, when we first got married we would put in a garden every year and can our own vegetables, sauces, pickles, beets ect. We got away from it for last ten years and well this year, we are getting back into it again. I would rather have more then we need, so that we can help out family that may not have been able to get ready. I am more worried about what our supply chain will look like after a second wave then what is currently going on now, it could get worse

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@willdob3    I don't know if this will be all meat.  Our local news station has been interviewing farmers and they are really nervous.  They can't get anyone to process their chickens and pigs and they are being offered lower prices.

Many farmers are worried about having to destroy their animals and going out of business. They have already started to "thin out the herd"

I could just be a local problem...or not. I don't know.  We should all be prepared anyway. This could end up being a long term problem.  A shortage of meat protein will cause the already shortage of beans and rice to only get worse.

So this is my "beef" pardon the pun....not all the facts are researched and presented before posting.......and then more doom and gloodm speculation about beans and rice are added without facts....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”