Honored Contributor

Re: Heads Up. Meat shortage coming.

I buy chicken, beef & pork from a small local farmer.  It's their own livestock but now I wonder how they process their meat....I have no idea.  I'm going to see if I can find out.

Just last week I received an order and cut some of the large chicken breasts as well as pork chops into smaller potions to freeze.  I'm so glad that we purchased a chest freezer a few years ago and now for the first time really utilizing it. 

Just hoping and praying we don't have a power outage!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

If only we had someone overseeing all this mess, making a National Plan. ☹️☹️☹️

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

@SharkE  Abosolutely 100% agree with you... Some posters just love to be the first to announce whatever bad news they can.   Deaths of celebrities etc.   And of course now any bad news regarding the virus.  They're part of the problem

Honored Contributor

@Junebug54 wrote:

@SharkE  Abosolutely 100% agree with you... Some posters just love to be the first to announce whatever bad news they can.   Deaths of celebrities etc.   And of course now any bad news regarding the virus.  They're part of the problem

Are you only saying this because you want a head start in buying up all the meat?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Valued Contributor

@Katcat1  Exactly! And then you factor in social media, where everyone is posting the same info (much like what happened with laundry detergent and dishwasher detergent) and you have a self fulfilling prophecy. 

I was hopeful we had all learned something from the toilet paper situation, but it appears doubtful. 

(@ Carmie, this is not directed at what you posted....I had already read the same thing online from the Tyson guy. He sure didn't do us any favors)

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@Junebug54 wrote:

Are you only saying this because you want a head start in buying up all the meat?

No, can't afford those 145.00 Rastelli steaks that sold out over the weekend

Husband said "that's what will happen now people are like cattle they will follow the first bull to stampede".  If they get scared they will want to make sure they get their share and be selfish and dry up the market .

Honored Contributor

@SharkE   If I heard inside information you can be sure that thousands of others have too.

The difference between meat and TP is that people need a freezer to store it.  You can't buy and hoard more than you have room for. It is extremely perishable.

I suggest you buy an extra pound of ground round for those cheeseburgers you are so fond of.  Fast food places and resturants will not be able to get any either.

I have two deep freezers.  Both are filled.  I only have room for a few pounds of chicken breasts. That is all I have room for.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie 

Saw a guy in the pork industry on the news, yesterday,  I believe. He said because of so many processing plants shut down, pigs are piling up on the pig farmers.

Didn't pay real close attention since I quit eating all types of meat and fish in the mid '70's. But he said their will be a shortage because big processors like Tyson and Smithfield(a China owned company) were shut down.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@Porcelain If that's directed at me you'd be wrong.  I couldn't care less if I ever ate meat again.   I eat meat but wouldn't bother me if I ever did again.    Give me salmon, cod and lots of veggies.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I agree with @SunSprite ,  stores  need to limit how much you purchase.  We don't need another shortage like Lysol spray and wipes.

The stores in my  area are already limiting people to buying  only two packages of any type of meat item per family a day.