Super Contributor

Heads Up - I just had a computer phone scam

My phone rang about 20 minutes ago. A pleasant sounding man with an Indian accent announced that his name was Neil and he was from Microsoft Windows. I said "How can I help you?" He asked if I use Windows 7. I said again "How can I help you?" Then he announced that my computer was going to be blocked in a few hours because Microsoft "picked something up". I said "What are you talking about? WHY am I going to be blocked?" He repeated that the Windows main server was going to block me in a few hours. I said WHY? Then he hung up.

I have to admit, at first I thought I had accidentally gone to an illicit website or something and the FBI was now going to come after me {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} so my heart was pounding a little. He sounded so professional and so legit.

I immediately backed up my files. Then I ran a virus scan. Then I contacted Microsoft and they said they NEVER call customers for such a thing, that I was likely scammed.

Just to reiterate a common sense warning: Don't ever give out any personal information, even info that seems innocuous (like telling the caller I use Windows).

Respected Contributor

Re: Heads Up - I just had a computer phone scam

I have gotten those calls before and told him I knew he was nothing but a scammer. He called me a filthy name and hung up!

Super Contributor

I just got a call similar to that last week. A guy with an Indian accent told me he was from Microsoft and they had detected an intruder on my computer and they needed me to log on and then follow their instructions.

How stupid do these fools think we are? But I suppose there are a few gullible people left who they can scam into letting them take over their computers.

What a sad way to make a living.

Respected Contributor

If I ever got a call like that, I would say, "What computer?" It would totally disarm them, LOL.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Respected Contributor

On 4/28/2014 Topaz Gem said:

If I ever got a call like that, I would say, "What computer?" It would totally disarm them, LOL.

I just thought the same thing, wouldn't that be a hoot! Or something like, "I work for Microsoft too, funny I haven't heard anything about this. Let me make a few phone calls, I'll get back to you.

Respected Contributor

Love my Caller ID. If I don't recognize the name and/or number, I just don't answer. I Google numbers I don't recognize & about 99% of the time, they're scammers. I get several a day, every day. Just don't answer. Period.

Respected Contributor

On 4/28/2014 Allegheny said:

I just thought the same thing, wouldn't that be a hoot! Or something like, "I work for Microsoft too, funny I haven't heard anything about this. Let me make a few phone calls, I'll get back to you.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} Or, keep a whistle by the phone & blast their ears. Or, ask them if they can hold on a sec, then just lay the phone down & leave it. They'll get frustrated & hang up.

Honored Contributor

I got this same call at work. I hardly ever answer the work phones and when I did, this is the call I got. When I told him he was calling a law firm, not an individual home, he hung up on me. LOL

Respected Contributor

HA! I would love to mess with their heads. I'd also say that I worked for Microsoft, then I'd start to ask them company questions, like who they report to, what facility do they work in and what their employee ID was. In my company, employee IDs are not private, so Microsoft may be the same. Either way, the scammer would never be able to answer those questions, LOL.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Super Contributor

HA! I would love to mess with their heads. I'd also say that I worked for Microsoft, then I'd start to ask them company questions, like who they report to, what facility do they work in and what their employee ID was. In my company, employee IDs are not private, so Microsoft may be the same. Either way, the scammer would never be able to answer those questions, LOL.

I must remember this. Excellent!