Honored Contributor

Re: He Lied... about his age....

@MaggieMack

Whoops .... I got it backwards!!   Thanks!   LOL

Respected Contributor

the worst story i ever heard and i guess this is a lie by omission is my friend's husband's parents.

on their wedding night so many nights ago he takes his clothes off and lo and behold!!  he has a wooden leg.  to say his bride is surprised is putting it mildly.  no one knew he was missing a leg.  i think he lost it in the korean war.  they never did have a happy marriage even though they stayed together.

Trusted Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

My grandfather met a woman long after Grandma passed.  He lied and told her he was 80 when he was really 90.  She was in her late 60s.  After they were married, she found out how old he was!   She confided to my dad that she wouldn't have married him if she'd known his true age.

She stuck with him and he lived to be 99 and 7 months.  He never went into a nursing home!  How many folks have you ever met who died right before turning 100 and never spent time in a nursing home??!!  She took care of him for those last years when he couldn't really take care of himself.  He hated hospitals and because of her, he avoided them and was able to die at home.

My dad and uncles were recipients of his estate.  They set a chunk of Grandpa's money aside for her so she could live on her own comfortably.  Dad called her regularly and she was always appreciative of the financial situation.   She had a very nice, predictable monthly income, which we all felt she deserved.  She liked the arrangement because she had a son whom she didn't trust and was worried he'd steal her money if she received it outright.  The way her account was set up, she never had to worry about that.

@Kalli Your dad and uncles did the right thing.

Do the math.
Esteemed Contributor

Nope, holding on to a lie for a year when there had to have been many opportunities to fess up is a deal breaker.

Respected Contributor

Here's my thing: if he's lying about something as ridiculous as his age, over an extended period of time, THEN continues to do so by telling you your math us wrong (omg, seriously?!?!), then what kind of larger things would he lie to you about?? One word: Bye. 

Honored Contributor

The thing that would bother me is that it is a pretty big lie and he never felt comfortable enough to admit it.  That sounds like a problem to me.  He went on fooling her and apparently didn't mind doing that.

Honored Contributor

To all of the people who think once a person tells a lie they can't ever be trusted...honestly you have never told a lie yourself?Age lies are common...my mom never told her true age to anyone but she had high standards and principals about everything else in her life.

Honored Contributor

Personally I would not be interested in dating someone who had to lie about his age, it's juvenile. I could over look it though if he had dementia. The things we go through for companionship.LOL

Honored Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

I wouldn't want a man in my life who was so sensitive about his age he felt the need to lie about it. Just screams unmanly to me. Own your years, I do.

Me too, babe; always have. 

18px4zzhj3lgugif.gif (250×194)

Honored Contributor

Is deception a form of lying?  Botox, hair coloring, face lifts, lypo...are attempts to look younger than one's age. Is saying it all that different from showing it?

A gentleman or lady doesn't ask adults their age, it's rude.