Honored Contributor

Re: He Lied... about his age....

I've been thinking about this thread since I first read the comments this morning .... and have been wondering why people are so upset about his lying about his age.

I think it's because I live in Los Angeles and have known many people in the entertainment business over the years .... and most people in that business fib about their ages .... even the people who work behind the camera.   

It might seem superficial to some people, but unless you've lost out on jobs because of your appearance or age ... or they wanted someone younger for that part .... then it might be difficult to understand the industry culture.   So people fudge a little when it comes to actual age .... not the end of the world, and it doesn't mean the person is not trustworthy.   

@QVCalm   ... have you spoken to your guy lately?  Did you ever determine the real reason he didn't tell you his real age?

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44

darlin.....we're talking the real world here.  not hollywood.  i umderstand what you are saying and agree !00%.  some people take these things seriously and maybe too much, imo, unless we're talking 20 years.  but a lie,is a lie is a lie in a relationship and that is important.  i went through it and we ended up having a nice time.  but the truth is, i never really could put my faith and trust in him again.

Regular Contributor

My husband lied about his age and how tall he was. So what! I still loved him and

wish he was still with me. He passed away in 1994 just after he retired. Age is only

a number.

Trusted Contributor

That is what is so strange about the situation.  I mean, here's OP, talking to him about turning 70 and how hard it is for her...maybe even discussing social security benefits and he's saying "well, I'm not there yet and have a few years to catch up..." I mean, how weird for him to keep this lie going for a year!?  

Did OP and him celebrate a "fake" birthday together - pretend he turned 64?  Does she tease him about being a "baby" since she though he was six years her junior?  I am fine lying in Hollywood, or not wanting your prospective employer to know your age, but to a companion?  Really. really weird and actually creepy to me.  Sorry, this is not something I'd be comfortable with at all.  And when she called him out he tried to keep lying and tell her she did her math wrong??  Wow.  

Honored Contributor

To me, this is a situation I wouldn't overthink, analyze, or even try to figure out his reasons for withholding the truth.   I would just be done, and walk away.   

Trusted Contributor

I'm so sorry this happened and caused you to be unhappy. I know for others it may be a harmless lie and nothing to make a big deal about, but in my experience, if someone can lie about such a trivial thing as age, then what's to stop him or her from lying about other things as well. if you're uncomfortable about it and it bothers you more than just a bit, then take some time apart and see how you feel without him. if you feel like you'd rather not be with such a person in your life, then good you found out sooner rather than later. good luck.

Respected Contributor

I don't know men who lie about their age.  And, I can tell the difference in people in their 60's and ones in the 70's.  But even with all that said, I'm not sure I would trust someone close who actually told me a lie.  It's one thing to insinuate an untruth, but lying about one thing means lying about another thing.  He had a whole year to come clean.  If it never bothered him, even after you spoke of aging, he doesn't care what you think.   

Respected Contributor

My grandfather met a woman long after Grandma passed.  He lied and told her he was 80 when he was really 90.  She was in her late 60s.  After they were married, she found out how old he was!   She confided to my dad that she wouldn't have married him if she'd known his true age.

She stuck with him and he lived to be 99 and 7 months.  He never went into a nursing home!  How many folks have you ever met who died right before turning 100 and never spent time in a nursing home??!!  She took care of him for those last years when he couldn't really take care of himself.  He hated hospitals and because of her, he avoided them and was able to die at home.

My dad and uncles were recipients of his estate.  They set a chunk of Grandpa's money aside for her so she could live on her own comfortably.  Dad called her regularly and she was always appreciative of the financial situation.   She had a very nice, predictable monthly income, which we all felt she deserved.  She liked the arrangement because she had a son whom she didn't trust and was worried he'd steal her money if she received it outright.  The way her account was set up, she never had to worry about that.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

To me, this is a situation I wouldn't overthink, analyze, or even try to figure out his reasons for withholding the truth.   I would just be done, and walk away.   

@RedTop

The OP didn't say how long she had been dating this man, but that they had been exclusive for a year.   They obviously are close and are enjoying each others' company.   To walk away without even knowing why seems a tad harsh, IMO.   

Since women -- statistically -- live 7 years longer than men, him being 6 years younger is a good thing.   I would hope she at least takes the time to find out why he lied about his age.   Perhaps the woman he was interested in before they met thought he was "too old" and he just wanted to improve his odds.   Dating in your 60's and 70's is not easy, that's for sure.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@RedTop wrote:

@RedTop

The OP didn't say how long she had been dating this man, but that they had been exclusive for a year.   They obviously are close and are enjoying each others' company.   To walk away without even knowing why seems a tad harsh, IMO.   

Since women -- statistically -- live 7 years longer than men, him being 6 years younger is a good thing.   I would hope she at least takes the time to find out why he lied about his age.   Perhaps the woman he was interested in before they met thought he was "too old" and he just wanted to improve his odds.   Dating in your 60's and 70's is not easy, that's for sure.

The man being six years younger would be a good thing, but he turned out to be four years older. No big deal if you know that going in . . .

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop