Honored Contributor

He Had to Take 4 Buses to Get There, but 95-Year-Old Marched Against Racism

[ Edited ]

A 95-year-old World War II veteran took 4 buses to attend a march after the New Zealand mosque attacks

John Sato, center, attends a march against racism in Auckland, New Zealand on Sunday, March 24

(CNN)A 95-year-old World War II veteran says he was so saddened by the horrific mosque attacks in Christchurch, New Zealand, that he took four buses to attend a solidarity march against racism in Auckland.

John Sato told Radio New Zealand he couldn't sleep the night after the March 15 terror attacks that left 50 people dead.
"I stayed awake quite a lot at the night. I didn't sleep too well ever since. I thought it was so sad. You can feel the suffering of other people," Sato said.
So he decided to get to the rally Sunday any way he could from his home in the Auckland suburb of Howick.
Once there, he was supported on the arms of a police officer and another man. The scene was captured in a photo taken by Alexa Unrein, who was also attending the march.
"I was late for the march because I had back surgery a while ago," she told CNN. "While we were trying to catch up we were lucky enough to witness the scene. I didn't know who the old man was at the time but it was so beautiful to see him there and how everyone tried to help him to be a part of what seemed very important for him."
Sato, whose mother is Scottish and father is Japanese, admits to being out of touch with the modern world. But the attacks in Christchurch prompted him to show solidarity with the Muslim community and opposition to racism.
"I think it's such a tragedy, and yet it has the other side. It has brought people together, no matter what their race or anything. People suddenly realized we're all one. We care for each other," he continued.
After checking in at a vigil at a mosque in Pakuranga, not far from where he lives, Sato decided to hop on more buses to get to the city center and join the big rally.
Pakuranga is about 15 minutes away from Howick by bus. From there to Aotea Square, where the rally took place, it takes about 45-50 minutes by bus, depending on the route.
There he was helped by police and strangers to the awe of the people marching.
Others said they walked beside Sato and were impressed by his incredible mood.

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
Honored Contributor

Re: He Had to Take 4 Buses to Get to There, but 95-Year-Old Marched Against Racism

What a wonderful man !!

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

Re: He Had to Take 4 Buses to Get to There, but 95-Year-Old Marched Against Racism

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

What a wonderful man !!

@QVCkitty1  Your few words say much!

Honored Contributor

The man looks fabulous for 95, he sure is one determined guy, I have an aunt like that.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for sharing this @golding76 .

Esteemed Contributor

This world needs a lot more people like John Sato.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: He Had to Take 4 Buses to Get There, but 95-Year-Old Marched Against Racism

Not only his body, but mind must be in good condition to even figure out the bus schedules!

Honored Contributor

Well, made my day.  God Bless the goodness and kindness in this world.  We sometimes only hear of evil, but the majority is good.  We just need to focus on the good more

Respected Contributor

This brought tears to my eyes!

His actions speak volumes about his character.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

This brought tears to my eyes!

His actions speak volumes about his character.

@Abrowneyegirl . Me too.I am sitting here reading this and dabbing my eyes! Speaks volumes for sure.