Honored Contributor

Re: Hayrides, apple picking and pumpkin picking.

Although I've done those things a few times, it does get old listening to those same talking points.

Esteemed Contributor

@chiclet  I've done all three many times, and denim is the best to wear for those activities. Definitely don't wear any kind of knit, and flannel is difficult to rid of burrs and straw. (It's not hay, in my experience. I doubt farmers would waste the hay.)  

Respected Contributor

omg i love you sarcastic comment!i totally agree.new outfits for this outting........ya right

Honored Contributor

Just another sales tactic. 

When I taught school I actually did these things with students on field trips. Fun times! 

I'd rather wear my "fall clothes" to various fall festivals & art & craft shows where I can usually find apples and pumpkins if I'm interested. 😉

Trusted Contributor

I never watch on TV but was looking at a video last week of something and there it was:  "this is perfect and just in time for the pumpkin patch"....I had to laugh....some things never go away. I guess it's their way of reminding viewers that fall is on the way and they don't want anyone caught under-dressed at the hayride/pumpkin patch/apple picking. Heaven forbid! 

Frequent Contributor

Of course the fall festival talking points paint a sweet picture to entice people to buy clothes.  I am not bothered by it.  Maybe that is because on Saturday I wore QVC jeans and a flannel shirt to go on a hayride, walk through a corn maze and pick apples at the local orchard.  On Sunday, I wore another QVC outfit of jeans and a flannel shirt to visit an old-timey Cider Mill and sipped cider and ate donuts by the water.  It does happen. Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Remember when QVC hosts would actually go to a pumpkin patch?  This is Mary at Linvilla Orchards in 2012.  What she's wearing is fine!

maryqvclinvilla.PNG

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Remember when QVC hosts would actually go to a pumpkin patch?  This is Mary at Linvilla Orchards in 2012.  What she's wearing is fine!

maryqvclinvilla.PNG

What in creation is that big green thing right there?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you think about it, pumpkin patch season is like three weeks long. That's about the window of opportunity you have.

It seems like anymore, it stays hot till the first or second week of October. After that, pumpkin picking seems like the right thing to do.

But then you only have a few weeks til the end of October to do so--therefore, about three weeks of pumpkin picking.

I'm not buying outfits only to wear three weeks out of the year. I'm buying clothes to last through the whole cold part of the year, which is about October through April.

Honored Contributor

@Ladybug724   That's a blue hubbard squash.  Mary actually asked Norm, the farm manager, about it.  He said it's the best for making pumpkin pie.  (the inside of the squash is orange, not blue)