Honored Contributor

Hawaii bans oxybenzone & octinoxate sunscreens

in order to save its coral reefs.  As Mother Jones previously reported, oxybenzone “deforms coral cells, damages their DNA, and, most disturbing of all, disrupts coral larvae endocrine hormones causing baby coral to encase themselves in their own skeletons and die.”

Sunscreens with physical barriers (titanium oxide or zinc oxide) are not considered harmful to the reef denizens.

On a related note, I just found a wonderful sunscreen using zinc oxide.  It's by BurnOut, SPF30, UVA/UVB protection, for sensitive skin, can be used on face or body.  It's not at all thick and applies clear and very smoothly.

Image result for burnout sunscreen

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: Hawaii bans oxybenzone & octinoxate sunscreens

It's not safe for humans, either!

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach  How much does that 2oz tube cost? Because that's going to be one application for face and body if you want true protection.

What ticks me off is that companies have moved from a physical block to these chemical blocks and yes, they are cheap so no big deal. Well, people are going to get a big jolt when they see how much they're paying for a physical spf now that the Hawaii has banned the chemical ones (these 2 ingredients make up the majority of chemical spfs).

Physical ones were the NORM until chemical came out and now you pay a LOT of $$$$ for non-chemical spfs.

Also, how are they going to inforce the ban? How will they know if you complied or not?

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam

I don't know the answers to any of your questions.   You'd have to do some research (as I'm sure you already know). 

The idea is to not have the chemical sunscreens available for purchase, right?  Enforcement?  I'm not privy to that info.  The chemical ingredients aren't good for human skin anyway, as I understand.

As to the price, my tube has lost its price sticker.  I imagine cost is different depending where one purchases.  I don't go out in the sun myself, so I only use it on face and forearms/hands.  It doesn't take much.  One tube lasts a long time used like that.  Clearly, it's not the only brand.  It's just one I found that isn't too thick or pasty.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

I banished sunscreen from my life many years ago and have never regretted it. I use sun exposure for its healing properties and like to maintain a nice golden glow as well.

Honored Contributor

As I posted elsewhere, coral reefs are essential to our ecosystem and are found in 100 countries, including ours (Florida).

The answer is not giving up sunscreen. One should always wear it when in the sun to protect the skin from photoaging and cancer. Just use one that doesn't have these two chemicals in them.

Remember: A tan, even a "glow," indicates damage.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I never go out in the sun except to get from the house to the car, or mailbox, or plant something in the backyard.  I have some sunscreen for travel just in case I get stuck someplace.  

Honored Contributor

This would be very hard for me because I am very allergic to Avobenzone, which is in so many sunscreens now!  So the two banned ones are the ones I look for.  The pure zinc is so thick and pasty. . . 

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

This would be very hard for me because I am very allergic to Avobenzone, which is in so many sunscreens now!  So the two banned ones are the ones I look for.  The pure zinc is so thick and pasty. . . 

You don't need pure zinc. Zinc oxide and titanium dioxide give fantastic coverage and feel better than pure zinc. Titanium dioxide gives almost full spetrum coverage on its own, but not complete. You can combine it with zinc to get full coverage with less zinc oxide. I'm allergic to zinc and look for titanium dioxide and avobenzne, so we're opposites in those regards.

I've also had a lot of success with sunscreens from Korea and Japan, which use different ingredients that haven't passed FDA approval, but are approved in other countries. The hardest part is finding sites that list all of the ingredients in English. Soko Glam and Glow Recipe are good for ingredients for Korean sunscreen. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner

@GingerPeach just posted a few posts above one that is a clear zinc oxide.

I haven't used any chemical sunscreens for years and only use zinc oxide and titanium dioxide.  Banana Boat Baby with an SPF 50 for most of my body and Josie Maran SPF 47 for my face and neck.

Mad Hippie Facial SPF 30+ UVA/UVB zinc oxide is also another good one I use as well.  Carry one in my bag for my hands when I'm out and about.  It's small and easy to take along.