Honored Contributor

Re: Hawaii bans oxybenzone & octinoxate sunscreens

@Sooner wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

How much time, on a daily basis, does someone

spend outdoors or in a situation w/ sun exposure?

A lot?  If you work outside as in farm, ranch, are a lifeguard, are a delivery person, mailman, do yard work and landscaping, are a grocery bagger, fish, camp, are an electrician, work for the phone or a utility company, are a student and walk to classes, are in car sales, wash cars, park cars, etc etc.

I was asking to the members of this forum, specifically.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I am glad the coral reefs are being protected.  The world is getting so dangerous for animals and plants.  As we humans are animals, too, it's all good if life is protected.

Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

@GingerPeach...I do very well get the point. I live here. Hawaii is constantly passing laws that they don’t enforce. I live it.

Yep!  Just like CA, where laws are passed all the time, but not enforced.  

Many of us who wear sunscreen never go near the water.  Mine gets washed off in my shower, and goes into my septic tank.  

Honored Contributor

Also when people shower off their sunscreen those chemicals also eventually infiltrate our water supply.

The reefs have been under attack for so long; it's a shame that people don't recognize how delicate is the balance in nature.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

@SurferWife wrote:

@GingerPeach...I do very well get the point. I live here. Hawaii is constantly passing laws that they don’t enforce. I live it.

Many of us who wear sunscreen never go near the water.  Mine gets washed off in my shower, and goes into my septic tank.  

@september  Your septic system still emits waste water out of the tank and eventually that water is absorbed into the water table.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@september wrote:

@SurferWife wrote:

@september  Your septic system still emits waste water out of the tank and eventually that water is absorbed into the water table.

As I understand it, the contents that are pumped out are taken to a wastewater treatment plant.  I know I pay $$$ to have this done according to state laws.  

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@september wrote:

@SurferWife wrote:

As I understand it, the contents that are pumped out are taken to a wastewater treatment plant.  I know I pay $$$ to have this done according to state laws.  

I have not researched each substance or chemical that is neutralized or otherwise eliminated but there are no doubt many we are not aware of that remain in any kind of waste water.  

And for those who are focusing on enforcing laws, it seems to me that is not the point.  Why not use the understanding we already have that these chemicals are harmful, and choose on your own to not use them?   

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.