Honored Contributor

Re: Hawaii bans oxybenzone & octinoxate sunscreens

So you did, @QueenDanceALot  Thank you.  I hope she will find something that works for her.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

my daughter went to an IBEROSTAR mexican resort last year. they also ban many sunscreens. for those looking for a biodegradable sunscreen, try the BADGER brand (which is the one she used.) also check out the brand MEXITAN. avoid these ingredients..... PABA, octinoxate, oxybenzone, 4-methylbenzylidene camphor and the preservative butylparaben.

One of the most harmful things to the natural underwater environment of Mexico and elsewhere is the sunscreens, oils, and sunblocks worn by tourists.  We don't think of it, but when we swim in the water, these oils come off and settle on the coral reefs and other marine life, and in volume can almost act like an oil slick in the water, creating damage to the delicate ecosystems.  The reefs are suffocated, and sunscreens are one of the biggest causes of bleaching to our reefs, and the death of much of the world's coral.   In addition, they promote viral growth and sunscreens containing oxybenzone have been shown to actually feminize fish!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

My all time go to is Devita Body Block.  I use it on my face also.  Wear it all year long. 

Big tube, not some rinky dink amount that won't get you through a week. 

Doesn't leave a white cast.  But for those who worry about that, add a little oil like avocado, or maybe argan, maracuja, coconut, etc. to make it more malleable.

I keep a stick of Babo (sp?) in my handbag also for hitting my hands while I drive.  It does leave a cast that melts away quickly.

EWG has a list of good ingredient physical sunblocks.  Tells you what's in them that make them harmful.  Some are wary of agendas with these sites, so you can investigate further if they say an ingredient is bad and you don't think it is.

I can't believe the ingredients in most sunblocks (makeup for that matter, too!)---high end and drug store brands.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions.  I use and have used for many years Shiseido sunscreens, but they do contain the chemicals this thread is about.  I am not unhappy with them, but would be VERY unhappy if they were banned here. 

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@GingerPeach  How much does that 2oz tube cost? Because that's going to be one application for face and body if you want true protection.

What ticks me off is that companies have moved from a physical block to these chemical blocks and yes, they are cheap so no big deal. Well, people are going to get a big jolt when they see how much they're paying for a physical spf now that the Hawaii has banned the chemical ones (these 2 ingredients make up the majority of chemical spfs).

Physical ones were the NORM until chemical came out and now you pay a LOT of $$$$ for non-chemical spfs.

Also, how are they going to inforce the ban? How will they know if you complied or not?

@SahmIam...BINGO!  Hawai‘i passes laws all the dern time, but enforcement is the issue.  Are they going to have beach police go up to everyone and ask them to show their sunscreen bottle.  C'mon!!!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

@GingerPeach  How much does that 2oz tube cost? Because that's going to be one application for face and body if you want true protection.

What ticks me off is that companies have moved from a physical block to these chemical blocks and yes, they are cheap so no big deal. Well, people are going to get a big jolt when they see how much they're paying for a physical spf now that the Hawaii has banned the chemical ones (these 2 ingredients make up the majority of chemical spfs).

Physical ones were the NORM until chemical came out and now you pay a LOT of $$$$ for non-chemical spfs.

Also, how are they going to inforce the ban? How will they know if you complied or not?

@SahmIam...BINGO!  Hawai‘i passes laws all the dern time, but enforcement is the issue.  Are they going to have beach police go up to everyone and ask them to show their sunscreen bottle.  C'mon!!!

@SurferWife& @SahmIam, from the Washington Post:

State lawmakers passed legislation in May that would ban skin-care companies from selling and distributing sunscreens on the islands that contain two chemicals deemed damaging to coral reefs. 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SurferWife wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

I think you missed the point, @SurferWife

Why does it matter how it's enforced?  The fact is they will no longer be for sale in Hawaii in a few years.   I would think anyone who actually cares about the world and its reefs would voluntarily comply.  Especially if sales of the banned ingredient sunscreens weren't available for sale in Hawaii, which is part of the whole educational effort included.   Those who care are encouraging visitors and residents to make the change to approved sunscreen ahead of the time the law takes effect.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

How much time, on a daily basis, does someone

spend outdoors or in a situation w/ sun exposure?

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach...I do very well get the point. I live here. Hawaii is constantly passing laws that they don’t enforce. I live it.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

How much time, on a daily basis, does someone

spend outdoors or in a situation w/ sun exposure?

A lot?  If you work outside as in farm, ranch, are a lifeguard, are a delivery person, mailman, do yard work and landscaping, are a grocery bagger, fish, camp, are an electrician, work for the phone or a utility company, are a student and walk to classes, are in car sales, wash cars, park cars, etc etc.