Trusted Contributor

Re: Hawaii bans oxybenzone & octinoxate sunscreens

Just for the record, I make studied and judicious choices regarding my health and lifestyle. I'm not a crusader, nor do advocate my ways for everyone.

I am also extremely healthy. Even my primary care physician is in awe.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach  Oh, I didn't mean for my post to imply that I was asking YOU all the questions!! The only question I was asking was the cost of the tube, lol. I was at the store and a 2 ounce tube of physical spf here (the beach) was was $22; that's one expensive application for face and body (all over the beach) compared to $6 for 32 ounces of a Walmart brand that is chemical spf.

Everything else was just musings/questions about the ban but didn't want to make 2 posts. : )

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

This would be very hard for me because I am very allergic to Avobenzone, which is in so many sunscreens now!  So the two banned ones are the ones I look for.  The pure zinc is so thick and pasty. . . 

@Sooner

No one is saying to use pure zinc.  Why would you want to do that when there are so many new formulations with zinc oxide that are light and/or clear?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@SahmIam

I thought so but didn't want to ignore you.

In any event, there are plenty of other formulations these days with the physical barriers that are light or clear (or close to it) or otherwise easy to use as well as less expensive.

I don't use much (mostly for driving around) so I didn't mind the cost.  One tube can last me months.

Trusted Contributor

I really dislike chemical sunscreens since I don't feel protected with them on and they burn my eyes. I know there are ton of sunscreen ingredients that are available in the EU and Japan but are not cleared by the FDA.

Thank you for the recommendation!

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Honored Contributor

This is good news.  I just hope it's not too little too late.  Humans have been heavily contributing to destroying the coral reefs for some time now.

I'm glad I got to dive some of the best ones before it started escallating.  It makes me profoundly sad to know of the huge damage already done.  I hope they are coming back, but coral is one of the slowest growing animals there is.  It takes many, many years for them to develop.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

This would be very hard for me because I am very allergic to Avobenzone, which is in so many sunscreens now!  So the two banned ones are the ones I look for.  The pure zinc is so thick and pasty. . . 

@Sooner

No one is saying to use pure zinc.  Why would you want to do that when there are so many new formulations with zinc oxide that are light and/or clear?

I haven't found any of the non chemical ones that I like to use.  That's more accurate. 

Honored Contributor

Didn't know about the coral reefs, but have always been worried about slathering chemicals on my and my family's bodies.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner

I haven't found any of the non chemical ones that I like to use.  That's more accurate. 

Does anyone have any good recommndations for @Sooner?  

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner

Does anyone have any good recommndations for @Sooner?  

@GingerPeach

Well, I thought I did in message #10. 

But maybe @Sooner hates those, too.

She hasn't responded.