Honored Contributor

Hawaii Underwater! Stay Safe Our Hawaii Posters!

"Hundreds of people have been evacuated from Kauai, Hawaii, after 2ft of rain lashed the island in just 24 hours causing heavy flooding and landslides.

By Monday afternoon, emergency crews evacuated 152 people by helicopter, 121 people by bus and others by water, according to the governor's office.

Officials were warning people who wanted to be evacuated that it's not known when they can return because of landslides blocking Kuhio Highway on the island's north shore.

Forty people, mostly tourists, were stuck since Saturday night at a Red Cross shelter in an elementary school in the north shore town of Hanalei.  

Plans to airlift them out of the school, which was surrounded by water, were abandoned because severe weather grounded helicopters, said Coralie Matayoshi, CEO of American Red Cross of Hawaii.

Kauai Mayor Bernard Carvalho Jr. and Hawaii Gov. Davide Ige assessed damage and rescue needs by helicopter on Monday.

'While we have a long road to recovery ahead of us, we are incredibly grateful for everyone who has stepped to the plate to help in one way or another,' Carvalho said.

There were no reports of major injuries. At least two houses on the north shore completely washed off their foundations, county spokeswoman Sarah Blane said. The houses were vacant, she said.

The Red Cross said volunteers knew of four destroyed homes in Wainiha, on the north shore, and there are probably more homes damaged in Koloa, on the south side, based on aerial photos.

'It's definitely the worst storm in recent memory,' Blane said.

Some residents said it was worse than Hurricane Iniki in 1992.

Hawaii Gov. David Ige issued an emergency proclamation for the island where heavy rainfall damaged or flooded dozens of homes in Hanalei, Wainiha, Haena and Anahola 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5619905/Severe-rainfall-strands-dozens-Hawaii-evacuation-she...

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Re: Hawaii Underwater! Stay Safe Our Hawaii Posters!

Appreciate you sharing this. Would not have known. The news isn't covering the story, of course. Kauai is one of my favs & stayed on the north shore of the island, Hanalei Bay area, which is mostly affected, in the past year

Super Contributor

I also love Kauai Iceberg! Sounds like this 28" of rain in 24 hours has had devasating effects.

Honored Contributor

They should have evacuated those people prior to the flood; it couldn't have come as a surprise. Now they have people stranded in a school. 

Valued Contributor

wow had not heard this! That is my favorite Island. Why isn't the news even mentioning this? I guess they were too focused on another Storm(y)? geeze...