Super Contributor

Having elimination issues--not me, my doggie!

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum, but not to the boards.

Just wanted a little advice.

My toy poodle, Buddy (he is 12) has developed a habit of peeing in his crate every night. During the day he can go for 8-9 hours without eliminating so I know this is not a physical thing like an infection or diabetes. All this started around Thanksgiving.

At night Buddy sleeps in the utility room. His crate is in there, but I do not close him in--he has the run of the utility room, but choses to sleep in his crate. He also stays in the utility room when he is alone during the day--like if I go out to run errands or what not. He never pees then--it is only at night.

I work nights so I give him his dinner & take him out before I leave for work at 6pm. My son will drop by the house around 11 & take him out to do his business & give him his nightly Benadryl (skin allergies). When I return in the morning around 7:45am, he has peed in his crate, even though he has the run of the utility room & he has apparently slept in it because he smells like urine.

He does this even on the nights I am not working.

I have tried putting a pad in his crate, a towel & nothing. It makes no difference. I took his crate away & now he just flat out pees in the utility room. The first night I did this was a fiasco--he yelped for 5 hours straight & I finally ended up putting the bark collar on him so I could get some sleep. Now I have to put it on him every night otherwise he yelps constantly.

That first night I took his crate away I left a pad for him to sleep on & at 5 am after 5 hours of yelping when I came down to put the bark collar on him, he had peed in the middle of the pad, but no where else in the room! This was only 5 hours after he had already been out.

I have also wrapping him with ace bandage & using the doggie diapers--again it makes no difference. He still pees (the diaper is wet). I have tried doubling his benadryl so he would be sleepy & have tried a homeopathic for bladder control. Nothing has worked.

I am at my wits end & tired of cleaning pee every morning & now this morning for the first time I was greeted with poop in the utility room.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. TIA