Honored Contributor

Re: Having a hedge planted with zero contact. Sign of the times.

@wildcat fan wrote:

Looks good! 😍

Could you please share what type of shrub you used? It sort of looks like a yew. I can't tell.

@wildcat fan @Good call. It's a podocarpus, a type of yew. 

Super Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

All that plotting, planning and scheming and the logistics to get a few plants in the ground.  Would have been much easier to go buy them, grab a shovel and get them in the ground.  Half the time and effort probably even less the expense.

Answer me this (and anybody else who gave a heart to this post): how do you know if the OP was unable to physically do this?

Or maybe  gave the job to someone who needs the work.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Dog    How do you know that the OP WASN'T able to do it?  I don't know if she is or isn't but the point is, it would have been simple.  Some people will argue about ANYTHING.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

We have had inside and outside service people since June, and we are just distancing, or in my mom's case wearing a mask and distancing. I don't feel horribly at danger, one on one, with service people as long as we are staying far apart, usually more than the 6 feet. 

If someone has serious risk factors, I'd say you can't be too careful.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D  Looks very nice and I would have done exactly what you did.  No way am I going to pick up shrubs, schlep them to the planting site and go outside in this heat and dig in rocky soil. And why anyone would question your installation choice is beyond me. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D    Omg, where did you find someone that woukd go to that trouble to help you?   That is service.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoekitty wrote:

@Mindy D    Omg, where did you find someone that woukd go to that trouble to help you?   That is service.

@shoekitty @Nurseries here often sell the plants and do landscaping installations. They can handle big jobs and small jobs. Right now, this could be helpful to the nursery's business because I'll be letting others in my development know about them. We have many homes and we all have to have this done. I'm sure nurseries are showing decline in business due to COVID. If I didn't use this nursery I would have had my regular lawn service company do this but they would have charged me double or triple what the nursery charged. When the nurseries are paid to do commercial installations it works in almost the same way as my transaction did. A company will call or fax the nursery and place an order and supply drawings of what they want. Then the company pays or in some cases is billed. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I should have said that I didn't really fancy any of the choices of plants I'm allowed to use. I'm not a fan of the podocarpus I wound up using. I've planted hedges using two of the allowed plants. The first, Ixora, I ripped out of my front yard because it is prone to ants which leave a trail and the trail left gets black sooty mold all over the leaves. The plants also become ungainly. The second choice is a plant in the schefflera family called green arbicola. I planted a variegated form of this in my front yard. It looks great in the first couple years after planting, but it is not a long lasting plant. The third choice, is dwarf colusia. It's very pretty but it doesn't take to being pruned into a formal looking hedge, which is what's needed around the ac units. It also does not grow to a height of four feet, which is the height requirement designated by the HOA. The fourth, coco plum, is also nice looking, but it gets fruit on it and I was concerned about the fruit drawing vermin and dropping on the ground, requiring clean up.