Honored Contributor

Having Ring Video Cameras and Solar Panels Installed--Question

[ Edited ]

I'm having two Ring Spotlight Cameras and two Ring solar panels installed on Tuesday.  One will be in front of my house, and one will be in the back.  I have vinyl siding, and don't want screws put in my siding.  I have a screened in porch in the back.  There is a window near the door to the porch.  The window has vinyl strips that surround the window, and I was thinking about attaching the camera and solar panel to the strips.  The strip could be replaced fairly easily when I eventually take the cameras down.

Another idea for the back of the house is to attach the camera and solar panel to one of the wood beams to the screened in porch.  I'm afraid the solar panel might not get enough sun if I do that, though, because of a large tree behind the porch.

I have a covered front porch at the front of the house.  I'm thinking about putting the camera on one of the wood beams to the front porch.  That's about the only place I could put it.  

The instructions say that when considering the location to remember that it's designed to be placed at an optimum height of nine feet with the motion detector parallel to the ground.  It says that will put the motion sensor in a perfect position to detect human-sized objects at up to 30 feet.

I think where I'm considering putting them will be 9 ft from the ground.  The one in the back will be on the deck, which is two steps up fron the ground.  The one in the front will be on the front porch, which is two steps up from the ground.  I have to be able to reach it easily to be able to change the battery without using a ladder though.  The pictures on Amazon show the solar panel beside the camera.  Can the solar panel be above it?  

Does this sound okay?  What else do I need to consider?  I am hoping some of you who are reading this have these cameras and can help me.  I was thinking about posting this to my NextDoor group, but I don't want to advertise that I'm getting the cameras and where they will be installed.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Having Ring Video Cameras and Solar Panels Installed--Question

I don't know anything about solar panels and/or Ring.

What I keep thinking about, while driving by homes with solar panels on their roofs is:

Can solar panels be installed on some sort of poles or stand(s), facing South or West?  Without placing them on a roof.

Just always wondering while I happen to be driving, and now that I'm here, thought I'd ask.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

I don't know anything about solar panels and/or Ring.

What I keep thinking about, while driving by homes with solar panels on their roofs is:

Can solar panels be installed on some sort of poles or stand(s), facing South or West?  Without placing them on a roof.

Just always wondering while I happen to be driving, and now that I'm here, thought I'd ask.

@ROMARY 

Do a search for flower shaped solar panels.

Lots of options turn up.

72AB976D-7674-4F05-8D95-89D43B43190C.jpeg

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@NickNack   I do not have the solar panels but I do have battery Ring cameras.  Our sun travels east-west over our home and we receive very little sunlight to support the little solar panels.

The placement of your solar panel for the most efficiency will depend upon the direction the panel is facing and the type of roof/structure you will be placing them.  Also where you live.

The RIng support team is your best bet for advice since everyone has different set-ups depending upon the issues I mentioned above.

Good luck.  We have been very pleased with Ring cameras and customer service.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I do like the idea of flower shaped solar panels.

They fold up when the sun is down.  Bloom out when the sun rises.

Fairly wind proof because of the fold-up feature.  

Hopefully we will see more of them in the US, which might reduce the current prices.

Sounds/looks like a 'win-win' to me, anyway.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).