Honored Contributor

Have you used: Interior Designer

Have you ever used a professional designer to decorate your home?

Or certain rooms in your home?

Even though I’m moving to a different apartment, I need to replace

several pieces I’ve had for...let’s just say, quite some time.

But my head starts swimming with what I want. 😕

And I don’t have a decorating gene in my body.

If I gave a designer, 

-a budget,

-pictures I found for inspiration,

-the new layout w/ measurements,

-a visit to my new place,

-a visit to my current place to see if I could use old pieces

...I would love to get in return, what to purchase & where to place

for a good look. 

Of course, many of the pieces would probably come from the

furniture store where she works...would be ok with that. 

Does all this sound reasonable/unreasonable?

Honored Contributor

Re: Have you used: Interior Designer

@sidsmom  If you can afford it.  Go for it.I have a friend who is a designer.She designed her new home...first the plans and then all of the finishing touches... so very fabulous in every detail.I always tell her that if she moved out all she would need to take was her dh and I would move in as is.She designed a cabinet in her master bath with doors and when they open a lighted makeup station with a bench to sit.She put in plugs for her blow dryer etc.All of her beauty product on beautiful display and when she is done she can close the doors on a fabulous cabinet that looks like furniture.Her huge shower has jets from floor to almost ceiling so she can steam or shower with massage or not.She has a wine cellar that has a tasting room and is completely computer controlled for proper temperatureThere is floor to ceiling wine.I could go on but I am sure you are done reading by now.

Honored Contributor

You could try it. They all work differently.  I hired one once and it was 100@ hr, and Didnt realize I had to pay that while we looked for stuff.  Lol.  There are interior designers who can help you use the items and furniture you have, and help with placement .  They also can help you buy stuff, which unless they have an actual store, means they shop online mainly .

in my case I needed window covering, a couple area rugs and help with furniture placement .  I spent about 600 bucks on jer time, and the cost of rugs.  I wound up calling a blind place for blinds. Myself. 

i would call 2 or three and find out how they work.  Interview them.  Ask costs of time, and such.  I was thinking of hiring one this Fall. I want furniture recovered as it is top of the line.  I want help with fabric selection...they do work miracles with that.    They do work miracles with that.  I need help rearranging.  I will not call the one I had before.  Really was a waste of time and money.  She was just not for me.  My friends have worked with designers here and there.  I think I will get referrals and call them.  I live in a small town.  We do not have designers.  I may have to get one from the big city 40 miles away, but they do work in my town on certain days.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom Are you asking about using the design service in a furniture store as opposed to using an interior designer?

You mentioned you have several pieces you wish to replace.  Are these upholstered pieces?  Would you consider having them recovered?  Is there a Calico Corners near you?  They have a very good design service.  You can have your pieces recovered by them or even select sofa, chairs and chose the fabric you wish.  They will do drapes, pillows, etc. or even make suggestions for you to chose at a later date.  If you bring a floorplan with you, they will suggest placement as well.

If you chose a design service within a furniture store, it will be pieces that are in the store for sale.

If you mean an Interior Designer, then you need to see their work, first, before you make a choice so that you have an idea as to their aesthetic.  An Interior Designer will visit your apartment to see the layout, what the light inside is like, where the window as well as door placements are.  You can show them photos of rooms that you like as well.  The will do a floorplan as well as furniture placement.  They will then do a large 2' x 2' poster board of the suggested room color, fabric swatches for drapes, pillows.  They will make suggestions, usually photos, of furniture.  The designer will go with you as well to look at furniture.  Yes, you can give them a budget to work within.

There are design services on line as well.  One is Havenly and another one is The Yellow Cape Cod.

I worked in the design field for many years.  These are the suggestions I can think of off the top of my head.

Honored Contributor

Some stores like Ethan Allen and some local stores have design help.  It's worth checking out what they have, what their thoughts are and see if you agree with what they would recommend!  

I would start there!  They can be very helpful if you find one whose tastes match yours.  Even if it doesn't they'll really be helpful with floor plans and layouts and ideas on colors and furniture placement. 

Esteemed Contributor

Your expectations sound very reasonable.

That's most of it.  I come from a design background.  It should be a collaboration, either that , or you favor a particular person's appeal (aesthetic) and you trust in them to make it a great space. 

Of course then, it's not yours - it's a "designer" piece.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

@sidsmom Are you asking about using the design service in a furniture store as opposed to using an interior designer?

You mentioned you have several pieces you wish to replace.  Are these upholstered pieces?  Would you consider having them recovered?  Is there a Calico Corners near you?  They have a very good design service.  You can have your pieces recovered by them or even select sofa, chairs and chose the fabric you wish.  They will do drapes, pillows, etc. or even make suggestions for you to chose at a later date.  If you bring a floorplan with you, they will suggest placement as well.

If you chose a design service within a furniture store, it will be pieces that are in the store for sale.

If you mean an Interior Designer, then you need to see their work, first, before you make a choice so that you have an idea as to their aesthetic.  An Interior Designer will visit your apartment to see the layout, what the light inside is like, where the window as well as door placements are.  You can show them photos of rooms that you like as well.  The will do a floorplan as well as furniture placement.  They will then do a large 2' x 2' poster board of the suggested room color, fabric swatches for drapes, pillows.  They will make suggestions, usually photos, of furniture.  The designer will go with you as well to look at furniture.  Yes, you can give them a budget to work within.

There are design services on line as well.  One is Havenly and another one is The Yellow Cape Cod.

I worked in the design field for many years.  These are the suggestions I can think of off the top of my head.

Shoekitty said

OMG ! Thank you @Somertime .  There is Calico Corners near me...they are good.  I havent used them in almost 23 years.  I know they downsized, but hopefully they can help with my recovering 2 sofas, a cuddle chair and an arm chair. One couch is about 58 years old.  my mom got it in 1959 at Sloanes here in ca.  It was expensive then.  It was. 91/2 ft couch.  Mom had it shortened to 7 ft, recovered 20 years ago.  It is 8 way hand ties, quality wood frame oven dried.  Still comfy after all these years. I cannot buy a couch this sturdy today, so I will spend a couple thousand recovering it.

Esteemed Contributor

I always did my own decorating until one day when moving from a house with over 4,000 sq ft into a two story townhouse with 2,000 sq ft, I called a decorator.  The seller of the townhouse really loved the color green, carpeting, draperies, walls, it had to go.  

The decorator started to bring wallpaper samples, gave ideas to redo the kitchen, carpet samples...I hated all of them.  So, I got to work and did the whole place over on my own and everyone who saw it told me whoever the decorator was, did a great job!!  My remark to to that was, "Thank you, I did, didn't I?"  I loved decorating and I learned all the tricks in the book on how to purchase furniture and appliances  at half the retail price.  However, sidsmom, since you don't have a decorating gene in your whole body it is a good idea to hire one.  Be careful though, if there is something you don't feel comfortable with don't do it just because the decorator says so.  The main thing is, you have to like and be willing to live with his or her suggestions.  I wish you lots of luck and hope it all turns out to be fantastic.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

@shoekitty  Delighted I was helpful to you!   You are so right to recover what you have.  I, too, have a sofa from Sloane's from 50 years ago that is 8 feet long.  I've had it recovered 3 times.  When they recover, they will tighten the frame.  You can change the arms as well if you choose as well as the feet if the height no longer works for you.  If your seat cushions are down/feathers, make sure you use them, they can be fluffed and they can use a batting over them before the are recovered for a softened look.

What fun for you!  Let us know how it all turns out!

Esteemed Contributor

I was lucky when we built our house 3 years ago, my SIL is a interior designer. We sent her our floor plans and she drew up three scenarios for each room. She also told us where to get pictures in sizes to accommodate our tall ceilings. Right down to rugs and pillows. It was eye opening how they pull stuff together. If you can afford it is worth it.