Honored Contributor

Re: Have you seen the Halo commercial with the Plus size woman

@freakygirl wrote:

ok to the dancing, regardless of the size of the woman, but does she have to be in her underwear? 

My thoughts on it too! Why the underwear?

It's as if the Halo commercial is trying to emphasize that it's okay to be fat, let it all hang out and don't listen to those "should" voices in your head when you know that it's really not okay to overindulge.

I don't see her living to be the age of the older woman who sees her in the window.

I don't care for the message.

Honored Contributor

I highly doubt that anyone who looks like the model in the commercial would eat Halo ice cream. She appears to enjoy her meals and Halo is a poor substitute for ice cream. 

Mixed messages in the ad itself. It's a fail for me.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The commercial certainly does not inspire me to buy the product.

Honored Contributor

I had no idea what OP was posting about last night, so I checked in this morning to see if there was more info.  I think the link that @ECBG posted is helpful especially if you are not familiar with the product.  It gives you a history of where the product came from and the niche it was originally intended for.  

Knowing that background, to me it would've been better had we seen the woman doing some of those things she "should" do and then dancing around because she is now treating herself without the guilt.  And I would rather her have some clothes on.  Don't care about her size.

When I was doing a moderate low carb diet I tried a Halo Top since all the low carbers were raving over it.  It tasted like flavored water to me.  Ice cream is an experience, not just about flavor.  While it was not that difficult for me to follow a moderate low carb lifestyle, the thing that disappointed me about it was the lack of recipes that weren't a disappointing replacement for some high carb favorite food.  Just because you make a food look like it doesn't mean it will taste like it.  

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@I am still oxox I can understand her joy.  She could eat the entire thing for less calories than a salad with regular dressing (in many cases).

I think two ladies with regular outfits doing something cute as girlfriends would have been better.

@ECBG   It's true that a salad with regular dressing could have more calories than the pint of ice cream.  However one would have to take into consideration fat/sodium content, too.

My issue with this commercial is that it is presenting HALO as a healthy alternative to sensible eating/exercising/etc.

Products with lower calories have been shown time and time again not to be healthy and not the best solution for weight loss.

I get that this woman is promoting HALO as being able to have her ice cream and that would be fine if there was not the put-down of exercise, etc.

Read the ingredients of the HALO products. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Silver Lining wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

In my opinion Halo is awful the commerical is bold and the woman has guts. 

mucho guts

Mucho gut too... I'll put it right out there. I think it's crass. I'm all in favor of people of all shapes and sizes doing what they want, but if I have to witness someone parading around in undies, I'd rather see someone fit doing so... As for ice cream, when I eat ice cream I eat real ice cream. 'Diet' ice cream is, for me, an oxymoron. It all boils down to control. I don't want a whole carton of fake ice cream. I'll settle for a small dish of the real thing. Sorry if my opinion is unpopular, but I'm tired of all the gilding of the 'plus size' lily...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

@stevieb  I didn't know how I was going to frame my opinion but you put it for me very well.  Personally I would find myself turning away if that commercial comes on again.  So much for effective advertising...

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

The "diet" ice cream isn't very good, and it's overpriced. The commercial is silly and demeaning. JMHO.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

@haddon9 My thoughts exactly!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I thought it was great. And it was perfectly targeted at the people, mostly women, who would buy that diet ice cream. A few average-weight or thin people would buy it to maintain their weight, but mostly it would be people who are trying to eat better but still like to endulge in sweets.

The message was, yes you may be obese, yes you may be working on fixing that, but people who eat this ice cream still live their lives to fullest while they're working on their goals. Don't hide away and feel awful about yourself just because you are working on something you consider an issue. It's an anti-body-shame message and younger people will find it completely positive and uncontroversial.

It's basically the inverse of a Victorias Secrets ad. But I'd also say that there are men who would find it extremely hubba hubba because they enjoy that body shape, so it's not completely non-objectifying.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr