Honored Contributor

Re: Have you seen that commercial, think it's Allstate with the big tree in it?

[ Edited ]

@Marp Nothing compares with mother nature.  Thank you for sharing that exquisite tree.  I wonder what the oldest tree is west of the Mississippi?

Respected Contributor

Thank you.  I have never heard of this oak.  I love trees; particularly oaks.  I feel each state should have legislation to protect and preserve old growth trees.

As a child, lets say 55 years ago, my friend and I used  to visit  a huge oak tree situated way up on top of a hill.  The tree was very old even then with huge swooping branches.  It was so majestic on top of that hill.  We'd settle on the lower branches and let our imaginations take us to far off places.

Two years ago the tree was struck by lightening, it really sadden me.  I was surprised its loss was missed by so many others in our rural area.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Marp Nothing compares with mother nature.  Thank you for sharing that exquisite tree.  I wonder what the oldest tree is west of the Mississippi?

I know that the oldest tree in the US is a bristlecone pine but as far as which individual tree is the oldest is probably unknown because there are many still living across the Western US, many as old as 5,000 years.

Highlighted
Contributor

I live in Aiken SC and there are quite a few of these here. One is at a place called Hopeland Gardens and many people go there to take photos. I lived in Beaufort SC before I moved here and there are many of these in Beaufort, too. Beautiful trees.
Bobbi

Honored Contributor

Did you know that there are trees in the world that are more than 5000 years old...google it if you want to be awed.

Valued Contributor

It's rare that commercials bring about visceral reactions in one. That gorgeous,old, twisted tree was one of those moments.  To me it was a metaphor and spoke that the Carolinas will recover and be as proud as that beautiful Angel Oak again.

The only other commercial that hit me as hard (actually harder) was the 2002 Superbowl Budweiser 911 Tribute (Respect).  To Budweiser's credit they only showed the commercial once.  If you've never seen it, please look at it on YouTube.  It's breathtakingly poignant, and I can assure you, me, who doesn't cry her way through life, sobbed like a baby when it aired.  I've watched it a few times since on YouTube, and cried all over again.  LuLu

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I wonder where that tree is at.  Maybe Google would know?  I'll check. I didn't see it, but I think at the end of the commercial they are saying "Georgia, we're here to help"

The tree, I think, is the Airlie Oak, located in Airlie Botanical Gardens, Wilminton, NC which just took a direct hit from Hurricane Florence.

It is over 400 years old; I have seen it many times as a memeber of Airlie Botancial Gardens.

Allstate ends the Carolina version of the ad w/'Carolina Strong".

Honored Contributor

9614A939-2CE1-4EA7-A295-B74F02994DCE.jpeg