Respected Contributor

Re: Have you purchased a Face Mask?

I purchased masks from Etsy. I ordered them April 3rd and received them today.

Honored Contributor

I ordered a set of 3 from that Los Angeles company that a poster here mentioned.   They're on their way to me.

Last night the husband brought me a cute little tie-dyed mask that he got from somewhere.

I just hope that, for the times I'm out in public, I can get better at wearing one.  I would never want to put anybody at peril.  I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of asymptomatic carriers out there, because that's the way this sort of thing works.  It is just the responsible thing to do, if not for yourself, for others.

But, man, I hate wearing a mask.  I feel like I can't breathe.  It's nice, though, that between the mask and my sunglasses, you can't see my makeup-less face.   Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

No not as yet but I have them.  I haven't seen many here wearing them except the older people yet not many out & about except senior hours.

Respected Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

I have since I am considered high risk (my age plus weak immune system). It takes a couple of weeks to receive but some masks it takes over a month.  When I was at Jewel the other day grocery shopping many people wore masks.  How about you?

If you are considered high risk, find any way you can to avoid exposure to others because the masks available to you now won't protect you. Only the N95s for medical personnel provide protection to the wearer, and they have to be clean and fitted and worn properly to be effective.

I don't know why it's not getting through to people that etsy and DIY masks are just to protect OTHERS, not you.

I have 3 or 4 risk factors and just began on a course of prednisone, which adds another. I realized I may have some N95s from woodworking days tucked away, and when I have to shop, I'll wear one with a bandanna over it so it can't be seen. Otherwise, it's senior hours only, in and out.

Why do you think it isn't getting through to people?  I understand that perfectly and am fine with it.  I think most people do.

I don't mind wearing a mask at the grocery store to protect others in the remote chance that I pick up the virus unknowingly.  I'd say 90% of the people in Santa Fe wear them in retail stores.   Some wear them out walking and some don't.   Some stores won't let you in without one.  

I bought 2 from an Etsy vendor and then heard about a woman blocks from us that makes and sells them.  She had 2 ready for me in about half an hour.  We don't go out much and probably won't need 4 but we have them.   

Honored Contributor

No, I am not wearing a mask or gloves.  They are not going to protect me from the virus and in reality I might get infected because of them.

Those masks are always being adjusted, pulled down, and pushed up.  They make you touch your face too much. They would be driving me crazy.

The corona virus passes through the fabric if it is in the air.  A coffee filter allows water to go through it and it would allow virus droplets to pass through as well.

I just keep away from people..hold my breath somethimes if I have to walk past someone and wash my hands with soap and water and try not to touch anything I don't have to...including my face.  I have used a wet Clorox wipe or the like In my hand to hold on to the grocery store carts and to open door handles and use key pads.  I figure if it is damp, it is capable of killing viruses.

I use the wipes to clean my hands, the car door handle and my steering wheel too...as soon as I get to the car.  I always have done this anyway.

I haven't had the common cold in maybe 30 years or so...I don't remember.  I have never had the flu in my lifetime and I am not immunized.  I am always very cautious and it has worked so far.  (knock on wood)

Honored Contributor

Our grocery stores now require a mask to come in. Good thing some people are stocked up and don’t need to go.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ    I often wonder how that works.  We have no masks at my house.  I do not own a bandana or hair ties. The fabric stores are closed and Walmart is sold out of hair ties and elastic...I do know how to sew, but some people don't.

I guess I would have to use an old tee shirt tied around my face.   I guess I could order some, but it takes a few weeks to get them and they aren't cheap.  If I had fabric and elastic, I could set up shop and make a fortune.

What a crazy time this is.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@suzyQ3  Not speaking for everyone, but many people think this whole thing is bs. Not me but I know people who do unfortunately.

@proudlyfromNJ, I know. Smiley Wink

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Sis made and delivered one each for the family. A neighbor makes masks for $9/ea. I bought a second pair for family. We wear.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

I went ot Fresh Market today and they had a sign outside that you must cover your face to enter. I bought a few masks from Etsy because I don't sew. If I go out I wear the mask and then I come home and wash it with hot soapy water and hang it up to dry. I'm afraid that some think the masks protect them from the virus but in reality it keeps the wearer from spreading it if they are infected. If we had been told to do this from the start maybe the spread of the virus would be much less.