Respected Contributor

Re: Have you purchased a Face Mask?

l see half of the shoppers wearing them and some homemade and some commercial from the Health or Contruction areas.  I think many of the homemade ones are not purchased. Most of the Cashiers are not wearing them which I thought odd ? Maybe too uncomfortable to wear for a long time? I do see Cashiers hand sanitizing after each customer and wiping down their work area.

I use the folded bandana and hair ties or a light weight  bunched neck gator. Easy up and down on face as needed. I refuse to purchase commercial  masks when many people hoarded them or stole them and now in short supply for those  working in the Medical field.

Then littering on top of it all.  They have removed the trash cans from our Walmart parking lot. I can sew if worse gets to worse. I live in a small town and only one confirmed case in the county.

Honored Contributor

No, but when this is over and life is back to "normal" one of my first purchases will be medical grade face masks because IMO a pandemic is likely to happen again.

Esteemed Contributor

I made a bunch for my daughter and grands as well as hubby and myself. We do wear ours when we go to the grocery store or drug store, however, I am surprised at all the people that don't wear them.

Valued Contributor

In my country Italy it is mandatory to wear a mask outside.In my hometown someone got fined 250 for not wearing it.Also the fine for being outside without a valid certificate is about 500 dollars.

I got scammed 100 dollars from a scam website (Bouflair).They never sent me a confirmation email.

I read someone here got 100% washable masks from Los Angeles Apparel,so I ordered some from them.

I also put a coffee filter inside.

Trusted Contributor

I haven't purchased a face mask.  I made a home made one from a bandana.  I only leave once a week so I don't want to spend money when others need them more.  I resisted wearing a mask until the past week but only wear it when going to the grocery store.

Honored Contributor

Did something change again?  Wearing a mask was repeatedly said to  protect others in case we have the virus and really does nothing to protect us from exposure.  Only the ones worn by hospital staff and first responders offer protection.  Some places mandate wearing a mask or you cannot enter and even a thin loosely held mask that is not snug is accepted so really no protection for anyone!!  

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I have since I am considered high risk (my age plus weak immune system). It takes a couple of weeks to receive but some masks it takes over a month.  When I was at Jewel the other day grocery shopping many people wore masks.  How about you?

I am wearing a face covering.  I wear it when I have to go to the store.  I put on hand santizer when shopping.  I am now using the wipes at walmart for my cart.  Walmart has done this for years but I have never used them.  I use hand sanitizer after shopping.  After putting my food away I wash and sanitize my hands again.

Valued Contributor

No, and don't intend to unless that is yet another thing forced on me.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Honored Contributor

DH and I wear masks and gloves when out. 

Many people are wearing them i.e. Target, Sam’s, Walmart. 

We we are both over 65 and DH has asthma, COPD, and diabetes.

We are not scared but cautious. You could say we are in the Faith over Fear category.

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I have since I am considered high risk (my age plus weak immune system). It takes a couple of weeks to receive but some masks it takes over a month.  When I was at Jewel the other day grocery shopping many people wore masks.  How about you?

If you are considered high risk, find any way you can to avoid exposure to others because the masks available to you now won't protect you. Only the N95s for medical personnel provide protection to the wearer, and they have to be clean and fitted and worn properly to be effective.

I don't know why it's not getting through to people that etsy and DIY masks are just to protect OTHERS, not you.

I have 3 or 4 risk factors and just began on a course of prednisone, which adds another. I realized I may have some N95s from woodworking days tucked away, and when I have to shop, I'll wear one with a bandanna over it so it can't be seen. Otherwise, it's senior hours only, in and out.