Honored Contributor

Have you or are you writing things down, family-wise for those after you?

I think we all have stories.  But I think I'd like to leave behind, our family tree.  In fact, I think that's something that before long I'm going to work on.  Too many times we don't ask good family questions (to me) until the powers that be are no longer here.  Those behind me, may never want to know what I want to leave them, but there's stories there.  I don't want to write a book, just a synopsis that I'm aware of.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Have you or are you writing things down, family-wise for those after you?

Before he died, my dad who'd had an interesting life, sat down and videotaped many of his stories and experiences.  He could have never written them due to severe vision problems.  The video is more interesting to watch.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Yes. For Mother's Day 2020, my daughter got me a subscription to StoryWorth. I wrote stories in answer to the weekly questions for a year. Then my stories and pictures were published in a lovely bound hardcover book. So many recollections, thoughts, and witticisms (my trademark, lol). This was one of the best gifts I've ever received. She will treasure the book after I'm gone. It's my life as told by me. 🤩

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

I hear what you are saying. Besides the stories I have photos back to late eighteen hundreds of my Grandfather as a young boy and my Grandma in the twenties with her little kids (my Mom). Also have trunk Great Great Grandma brought over from Germany with her children. When I go, it all will be thrown away. No one cares and no one wants anything. Sad for me.

Honored Contributor

I have only one living relative.  My ancesters changed their names at Ellis Island, and rarely mentioned "their past".     My own name is probably not "real".    

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

My parents and grandparents did this before their passing.  It is enlightening.  I will add my information before I'm 'called home'.

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal 

When I was leaving corporate America in the early 1980's, I invested in career counseling for myself, although I had helped others informally through the process.  Out of it came a document I wrote as part of the intake process:  Achievements I experienced from my earliest recollection with some detail to place it into context.

It helped me understand that continued corporate life would no longer interest me...other needs were to be satisfied.

The second document I wrote was when I was 70 in 2015.  I had a bad case of bronchitis that lasted so I made use of the down time to describe how I incorporated the 3 virtues on my college's Seal into my life: Faith, Knowledge and Caritas.  

The stories therein shed light on the various careers I have had since no one in my family knew what I had accomplished.

My college inducted me into their Life Honor Society based on the document.  It will probably be shared with future students at some point in different ways.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

yea, have been motivated to write things down since all this covid craziness began.  I remember asking my Grandparents how they felt and what did they do to get through  WWI & WWII ,  the stockmarket crash in 1929,the  Great Depression,  the Influenza outbreak  and  Prohibition . I used to ask alot abt their parents and hardships they endured, however I did not write anything down and neither did my Mother nor my Grandparents . I never heard any of my female relatives  keeping a diary . Wish they had .

It's never to late to record  either verbally or in written text of one's family stories .

Respected Contributor

No.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal    My Father wrote a book about his life.