Regular Contributor

Have you noticed battery leakage in your flameless candles and tiny bendable lights?

[ Edited ]

I use Duracell and I am changing to Energizer as they guarantee no battery leakage or they will replace your product. My flameless candles have battery leakage bad that I got from QVC.....upsetting and when you open the area to replace the batteries there is a liquid I guess it is the acid............also in my mini lights that are bendable they are always burning out and the durcell batteries have gunk all in them and leakage and it is scary.   Has this happened to you?

Super Contributor

Re: Have you noticed battery leakage in your flameless candles and tiny bendable lights?

I too have had some battery leakage in my flameless candles.  They are in the house and are not exposed to temperature extremes.  A paste of baking sode and a little water will neutralize the battery acid.  I have had luminara candles that the acid actually ate away the wire coil on the cover plate.  

I googled luminara and found a customer number to call.  They were very pleasant and sent me replacement battery covers,  

Trusted Contributor

Re: Have you noticed battery leakage in your flameless candles and tiny bendable lights?

My Mom & I both have the flameless candle wall sconces from QVC. My Mom's batteries leaked & ran down her white wallpapered walls. Her wallpaper is a matte type finish & not washable. We were unable to remove the stains. I got some white paint & touched up the wallpaper- it's not as noticeable now. She still has the sconces on the wall but they're no longer useable. I haven't had mine leak but am hesitant to use them. For the summer I took the batteries out. Very disappointing because I really love the sconces. 

Honored Contributor

No though I'm reading about this more and more. Is it the battieries or temps or...what causes it?

Honored Contributor

I haven't had this problem or have not noticed.

Until last purchase of batteries we have always used Duracell batteries.

i dread what will happen with the "generic" batteries that DH brought home. (ONO)

It will be very sad if the batteries start leaking because I have my flameless candles in the form of lanterns, etc all over the house and also outside Smiley Sad

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't think this is a Luminara or flameless candle problem at all--- I think the problem is with DURACELL which I have always used.  

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/duracell-will-repair-replace-acid-damage

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/beware-of-duracell-battery-leakage/2865

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/preps/battery-corrosion-why-they-leak-and-how-to-prevent-it/

I had a coupon and purchased some Duracell D batteries since I do have quite a few Luminara candles---  I stored them in their original package in a cabinet where temperature is not a concern.  About a month later, one of my Luminara candles went out and when I went to get the batteries out of a non-opened package I discovered the battery leak......this was a package that said this batteries would be good until 2026!!!!  I took them back to the grocery store and got an exchange.  

I use AA batteries in my wireless mouse and also a sports wrist radio that I use when I excercise....  I had put brand new batteries in my radio about 3 weeks ago and when I went to use the radio I noticed the  powdery stuff again a battery leak!!!  Again left in the original package in a cabinet where temperature concerns weren't an issue.. 

I buy the batteries at my grocery store where they have a big display and must have lots of sales because there's empty placs on the racks so its not like Im getting them some place where the inventory doesn't move..........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

This happened to me when I used some batteries from the Dollar Store!!  I thought I was so smart in getting the good "one dollar for three" deal.  But I went to change batteries on a Luminara and the "good deal" batteries has leaked.  Had to throw the Luminara out!! Stopped using those batteries....

Have used Duracell in the past, but they can be costly! Have found the batteries sold at Walgreen's to be good, so far! There are good sales  - two for one - every so often!

Esteemed Contributor

I've noticed this with all brands of batteries but mainly the AA's. I buy Energizer, Duracell and the industrial brands.  It doesn't seem to matter. I even check to see if they are made in the USA or elsewhere and that didn't seem to matter. I also have noticed a white dust around the coils which I'm assuming is dried leakage. I think it's a battery company problem but sure is a mess.